Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
have a torn CV boot - while attempting to remove the shaft i've run into a problem getting the A-arm to separate from the hub assembly. I've removed the cotter pin and castle nut but the a-arm just won't separate - tried tapping on it but cant get it off. I've loosened the bushing bolts (where it mounts to the frame). am i doing something wrong? any ideas? looking at the parts diagram it looks like there is a bushing at the end of the bolt??? can that be loosened? the bolt the castle nut was on is not straight up and down, it angles in towards the frame - doesn't look bent.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
What chassis are u working on, xp or vl?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sounds like you might need to let some penetrating oil soak on the ball joint where it passes through the a-arm. If that doesnt help, I'd suggest more than a light tap. Use a 2x4 across the a-arm and hit that with a 2 or 5 pound sledge. Should pop right apart!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Agree with Double_J, if you are trying to separate the a-arm from the ball joint, you will probably have to hit it harder. If the joint has never been separated, it might take a little more persuasion to get it free. While you have it apart, check to see if your ball joint is worn. The angle you talked about in your first post is normal, that joint moves with the entire suspension assembly. Put something across that a-arm and hit it with heavier hammer, it should pop right off.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Agree with Double_J, if you are trying to separate the a-arm from the ball joint, you will probably have to hit it harder. If the joint has never been separated, it might take a little more persuasion to get it free. While you have it apart, check to see if your ball joint is worn. The angle you talked about in your first post is normal, that joint moves with the entire suspension assembly. Put something across that a-arm and hit it with heavier hammer, it should pop right off.
Some things require finesse. This is not one of them. Gotta hit it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Somehow I figured you were going to be back here soon with the exact post you just put up.....

Been there, had the same issues.

Now, there are multiple ways to get that axle out of the differential, and they all work, depends on what you have handy....

I have a slide hammer that I use, attaches the the axle and they come out with a little persuasion....

If you don't have one of those, you may have an auto parts store nearby that my rent or loan you one of those. I have 4 machines, so I just invested in one a while ago...

If neither of those are options, the other trick i know is to loop a piece of line(non-stretchy kind works best) thru the u-joint near the diff, tie both ends securely to a metal bar about 3 ft long and grab the bar with both hands and pull sharply. To get that snap ring unseated requires sharp impact, they usually don't release by just prying on them, especially if they've never been removed.

Pulling on the axle shaft sometimes works, but you really have to make it sudden impacting pulls to get it to release....

I'm sure others have tricks they may want to pass along...

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Another suggestion, backing up what Ronnie said, if you can incline the machine so the penetrating fluid actually gets into that joint it works better. I have actually turned machines on their sides briefly to allow that stuff to get in there and work...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried the bar and strap trick - no luck. PB blasted the snot out of it - will try again tomorrow. This forum is awesome. Thanks guys for your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Did you remove the roll pin from the inner yoke?
no, didn't know it had to be removed - i can see the backside of the pin (round pin with square in center) how does it come out? Also, shouldn't i be able to rotate the shaft (unable to)? My axle looks like this (see image below) - so the shaft in the diff stays put and the yoke slides off the shaft?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2003 400 and my inner yoke is one piece, maybe they changed it in 04, but i would be surprised. Generally, on both front and rear, the diff has a receiver slot for the axles and the yokes come out when you pull the axle. Now if you have a roll pin, then punch that out and it will slide right off. Do you have the service manual for that machine? If not, there is a link on this site(sticky) where you can get them....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your going to need a new pin most likely its going to brake whenever you punch it out. they are a Coiled Spring Pin. I think they are 3/16 you can order them from McMaster carr. McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok guys, pin was a beast but, i got it out, axle removed! got some heavy duty cleaning to do while i'm waiting on the parts. you guys rock!!! if you're ever in the pittsburgh area give me a shout, beers on me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts