Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i replaced what i thought was a warped brake disc on the front right hub. it had severe axial runout, about 2mm. brake pads were worn unevenly down into the metal. but after replacing the disc with a new one, it still has the same runout. i can't ride like this or my new disc and pads will be wasted. also, the hub was very hard to get off the splines. on the other side with the same disc mounted it's good. that hub slid right off and on. now, what parts may i need to replace? i don't know the history of this machine. pre-owned 2007 sportsman 500 x2. thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,501 Posts
sounds like the hub is bad.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
could a bent cv axle cause this too? even the slightest bend or dent? i don't know how to diagnose this properly. until new hub arrives, i could maybe swap the hubs. everything looks ok and i can't feel any play.

this is roughly what it looks like:

·
Premium Member
11,501 Posts
No highly unlikely. But ur idea to swap the good hub is worth trying. If it chks out all u have to do is order up a new hub and install it on the side that was originally fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this can be moved to repair and maint. section

it's got to be the hub that is bad. or maybe bearing. it's getting replaced anyways. i took out the bearing and clamped it in a vise and rotated the hub on it. and i see the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts