Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Polaris sportsman 4x4 that I can’t for the life of me get the axle out to replace the bearings in the spindle housing please help is there a trick to this?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Ok, only a couple choices then. Leave everything in place and try to support the strut well enough that you can either beat the axle out or get a puller on it and push it out. Or punch out the roll pin on the inner joint and take the axle and strut off the machine so you can get them to a press or somewhere that you can put some pressure on the axle. If the bearings are really seized to the axle shaft then you are gonna have your hands full getting it apart. Always possible that you will mess up the end of the axle shaft getting it apart. If it seized, the shaft might be trashed anyway. Good luck with it!

·
10,595 Posts
Screw the castle nut back on the axle BACKWARDS (with the slotted part in) until the nut is exactly flush with the end of the threads. This will prevent damage to the threads when you then hold the strut pulled outward and whack the axle with a BFH. It should pop right loose unless welded/frozen hard in which case you need to whack it with a little more enthusiasm...:grin
It will come with persistence.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Screw the castle nut back on the axle BACKWARDS (with the slotted part in) until the nut is exactly flush with the end of the threads. This will prevent damage to the threads when you then hold the strut pulled outward and whack the axle with a BFH. It should pop right loose unless welded/frozen hard in which case you need to whack it with a little more enthusiasm...:grin
It will come with persistence.
^^^

Do this but use an air hammer with a blunt bit in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts