Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to shop around for a plow for my 2013 Sportsman 500 HO. Not sure what mounting system to go with, looking for the quickest hook-up to minimize stress on my quad. Can I get some suggestions?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm shopping too. It looks like the front mount is the easiest to hook up but the mid mount distributes the weight better. It looks like the front mount takes the least away from ground clearance. I'm going with the Warn front mount I think.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
And the front or mid mount debate continues.....

You stated.... "Looking for the quickest hook-up to minimize stress on my quad"

So we should ask, which is it? As I see two different statements:

1) looking for the quickest hook-up

2) minimize stress on my quad

My thoughts are that the front mount produces the most frame stress.... as all the force and turning twisting is placed on the front end of the quads frame. But it does however offer the easiest hook-up/removal and highest lift/ground clearance.

To me the mid mount systems offer the least amount of frame stress, as this is generally the beefiest portion of the frame... the span between the suspension that carries the weight of the engine and rider. However this system usually offers the least amount of ground clearance. Hook-up/removal can be a toss up with these systems easy to difficult. They usually offer the best weight distribution too.

I personally like the Eagle (Mid Mount) System and even better yet the Pure Polaris G3 (Mid Mount) Mounting System.... as it has two points of contact with the frame (so to speak), at the mid and near front both of which are on the belly of the beast! With this system I only loose about 2-3" of ground clearance when plowing and none-1/4" when I'm not plowing. Easy hook-up and removal. To remove pull handle grip lever, give a small tug and it drops right off (and winch hook), and to reinstall, pull up lift into place on rear hooks and lift/slap handle upward to clasp clamp.... off you go.

If looking at systems other than the Pure Polaris G3 and wanting year round ground clearance, without removing the mount..... go front mount.

Good Luck with your choice!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have used the Polaris Glacier plow for three years in the colorado mountains.

No sign of frame stress. I believe the discussion about frame stress is pure theory. It would only be important if there were a problem with the Glacier style plows.

BUT... the ease of use with the glacier is a gift from heaven. You put the mounting plate on and leave it forever. (It does connect a the mid point of the frame, btw).

You drive up, snap it on, and away you go. So,,, you can take the plow off in about two seconds. Very nice.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
As pointed out it's typically on of the other. Easy on off, vs strength and durability. from my research, and in my oppinion (we all know what to say about that) the Glacier 3 system seems to be the best of both worlds wrapped up into a nice little package. and will be the system I model my plow build around when I get around to actually doing it. Gotta get stuff to stop breaking first (not quads).

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Never had the front mount, but I am completely happy with the mid mount on my Cycle Country plow. Only takes a minute to hook up or unhook once the mount is mounted. I remove it in the spring to avoid damaging it and reinstall the mount in the fall. About a 15 minute job is all. Transferring the impact to the mid-frame mount from hitting hard objects hidden in the snow seems like a good thing as opposed to the front mount, but I don't guess I've ever heard of any problems caused by that either.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I am pretty sure everyone will say they have had good luck with their plow system. I went from a mid to front and love all the extra clearance from the blade picking up higher and pushing piles further to not having snow come with you while backing up. I can't imagine parts are going to wear that much quicker from a front mount, I am sure it may have a little extra impact on the front suspension, but so does bouncing down a trail at 30 mph...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My front mount has served me well. The mounting plate which is well build and strong also bolts back behind the front end into one of the strongest points of the frame. The plow mount it self is designed to protect the frame from stress and is far better than any front skid plate on the market today. Some of the early Glacier II plows had a problem with weak down tubes. That problem was corrected with the Glacier II+. They shortened and re enforced down tubes. I have numerous friends with the front mounted plows and none have experienced and problems with the plows or the frame.

I keep my plow on a 4 wheel furniture dolly, just roll it up to the front of the machine and it snaps in place in a second or two, not minutes. The removal takes the same.

I also have friends with the center mount plows which work equally as well and they also love them.

I guess the question is what is readily in you price range when it is time to buy. I have seen guys bash the front mounts, and others bash the center mounts. It's the same old mine is better than yours syndrome. Just remember like any other part on your machine if you abuse it or use for something it was not designed for it will break. no matter how it is mounted to your machine!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input was very helpful. I think I am set on the Warn ProVantge Front Mount system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts