Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... I've got an 02 700 and the previous owner had removed the front prop / drive shaft to change the u-joints but never got around to it. I replaced them and went to install it back today but couldn't seem to figure out how to get it back in could somebody provide some information? The technical service manual doesn't have any information in it. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
10,380 Posts
The rear should just be a splined slip joint. The front is splined and held in by a spring pin.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you and yes I know that... I'm just wondering if I HAVE to loosen motor mounts or Front Diff to get the shaft back in place or how to actually get it back in place. Since there is nothing in the tech service manual I assume it comes out without having to loosen anything but maybe thats a bad assumption. I've also read that the shaft has to be in a particular orientation to get it back on (and off) so can anybody provide info related to that orientation? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,380 Posts
Hmmm not real familiar with those earlier popo's. But I didn't think the front ds needed anything to be moved for it to be installed. The rear I think does. Well there are guys with more experience on the matter. Give them time they'll chime in.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I remember correctly to when I did my 08 500, I pushed the end into the diff as far as it would go and that gave enough room to pop the back end off. Install was the same, push in, pop the back end on.

I would assume most models would follow the same procedure?

As for orientation, I marked both sides on the prop-shaft and connecting points.

Link for reference:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/848461/Polaris-2008-Sportsman-800efi.html?page=213

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I understand what I need to do once I get the shaft back in place to install it. I’m wondering how to get it to that position though.

After you removed it as described above how did you then remove it from the machine?

·
11,164 Posts
A 500 is not the same as your 700. It's been a while but IIRC, I think on your 700 you'll have to remove both front wheels and take the front motor mount loose so you can pry up on the engine a little for clearance to get the slip joint past the engine case. Also removing the right side footwell allows you to see everything better. Bring the shaft in from the left front with the gap between the two yokes pointed straight up. (The gap between yoke ears allows more clearance to get past the case) This allows enough clearance with the crankcase to slide the slip joint on the tranny output shaft. Make sure the shaft and slip yoke splines are spotless clean and have a little grease on the seal in the yoke and the end of the shaft. Slide it all the way on the tranny shaft enough to swing the front yoke around in line with the front diff shaft. Make sure the pin holes are perfectly aligned and use a 5/16 x 1 3/4" grade 8 bolt with a nyloc nut to attach rather than a roll pin. The bolt makes future service much easier without having to beat on the differential shaft and will not work loose like I've seen several pins do. I always replace the pins with bolts on any Polaris I work on...prop shafts, front axles, etc.

NOTE***Make sure you front engine mount is put back exactly where it was previously as it affects clutch alignment!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the info. Armed with it I went out and tried once more to get the shaft in without doing anything and although it was VERY close it just wouldn’t go (the area in the red circle).

I looked everything over and decided to remove the nut on the top of the engine mount (green arrow pointing to it) and then use a bottle jack and a 3/4” x 3” bolt that I had laying around to jack up the front of the engine ever so slightly. I just used the bolt on top of the bottle jack and had it come up through through the hole circled in yellow and that lifted the engine just ever so slightly to allow the shaft to feed through.

Thanks for all of the help!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts