Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 polaris 400 4x4 and the front right wheel four wheel doesn't engage. The other tires work. Any suggestions how to fix this?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
434 Posts
i dont know much about the old style 4wd with the locking hubs but sounds like one hub is sticking unlocked or the obvious a broken cv but u'd see that

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is a magnet that draws a large washer with tabs on it which locks the hillard clutch open pressing into the inner hub. After time these washers will warp from heat and the magnet will not hold to a flat surface. Take aprart the hub and replace the washer $16 part. Reassemble filling hub with atf with drain hole at 3 o'clock position

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Also inspect the hillard clutch as the cage can warp putting pressure on the bearings. They should be able to slip in and out of the cage with no resistance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when you jack the unit up in the air all four tires spin then... there is voltage going to the coil... but on the ground the front right doesn't spin when in four wheel drive. Could it still be the washer? Thank you for your answers!

·
Registered
192 Posts
You must pull the hub apart put machine in gear and switch awd on. If the magnet is holding the washer it works. Put a straight edge on the washer it needs to be perfectly flat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the washer it was warped but it still doesn't engage... would my next step be to replace the clutch itself?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Straight edge the outer sleeve and the inner steel magnet. To much distance the magnet will not hold the Hilliard. Tap the outer sleeve with rubber mallet till both are flush

1 - 9 of 9 Posts