Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2017 Sportsman 450 and the front storage box latch opens when riding over whoops, obstacles etc It started about a year after I got it. If I keep pressure on the latches (over stuff the storage box) the latches will remain closed.
I replaced the 2 pivot pins in the front of box because they were a bit jacked up but that didn't seem to help. I was wondering if anyone else had this experience and if there may be any solutions?

·
11,675 Posts
Yep, I drilled a little hole in the top end of the knob and attached a spring to keep them rotated closed. Not really a good solution but it worked... sorta. I'm in the process of totally refurbishing that machine this winter and will probably try to address that with a better solution when I get to it.
I'll try to remember to post it if I come up with something better.

·
11,675 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I drilled a little hole in the top end of the knob and attached a spring to keep them rotated closed. Not really a good solution but it worked... sorta. I'm in the process of totally refurbishing that machine this winter and will probably try to address that with a better solution when I get to it.
I'll try to remember to post it if I come up with something better.
Hey Polman, I am still struggling with a solution. Did you come up with one OR can you post picture of what you already said you did? Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try these.....
Hey there, I was wondering if you used these and could offer any pictures? I am still struggling keeping the front storage closed?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the model of machine. I was talking about the rotary style latch below.
Oh ok, you are speaking of the back latch. Ok np, I am not having on issue there.

·
11,675 Posts
Oh ok, you are speaking of the back latch. Ok np, I am not having on issue there.
No OP, my old 2006 800 has the rotary style latches on the front box too. I didn't pay attention to what machine you had when I first replied. I'd say the lockable style that Sprotsman suggested may be what you need.
Or... you might try just adding another seal on top of the one already there to add more cushion/volume under the box lid mating surface to prevent it from being able to wiggle/shake enough to pop the latches loose. Not sure that would work but its simple and easy enough to try??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts