Polaris ATV Forum banner

Front sway bar

4K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  JoeD 
#1 ·
I have a 2021 sportsman 850 and it has a lot of front end dive if you corner at even a moderate pace, you can feel it trying to lift the rear tire.
Why does Polaris put a sway bar on the rear suspension vs the front?

#3 ·
Assuming the Polaris engineers were splitting the difference between handling and articulation. So in the rear they opted for stability and the front suspension travel.

What you're experiencing can be remedied by HD springs from either Highlifter or EPI.

Reactions: Sprotsman
#5 ·
Yeah its the best upgrade you can do if you ride hard or work it with heavier loads.

Definitely try to adjust the preload as that will help. But if you're riding more on the aggressive side then you'll eventually need a better set-up.

Just remember these machines are set up for a wide variety of "people" and "conditions" it's up to the individual to customize the machine to his needs and wants.

Reactions: JoeD
#6 ·
Yeah its the best upgrade you can do if you ride hard or work it with heavier loads.

Definitely try to adjust the preload as that will help. But if you're riding more on the aggressive side then you'll eventually need a better set-up.

Just remember these machines are set up for a wide variety of "people" and "conditions" it's up to the individual to customize the machine to his needs and wants.
I’m assuming a complete shock upgrade as well vs just the coil spring

#7 ·
No that's the beauty of it, you need only the HD springs. The factory shocks are decent and do the job, they're quality and last as well. The spring is softer to give that plush ride. It serves its purpose but comes up short under a weight load and spirited riding. But lots of guys think the whole assembly needs to be upgraded. Believe me make no mistake a fully adjustable shock with dual rate springs is the absolute best set-up. But for 90-95% of what we encounter out on the trail HD springs get it done.

#8 · (Edited)
Cures all front end woes..... HighLifter Springs, 2 notches up. I have an atv-guru.com bumper and at times 3 gallons of gas up front of extrea weight.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Coil spring Rim Suspension

Reactions: JoeD
#9 ·
These things already have a tremendous amount of push in a turn. It’s too top heavy and They have way too much bite to put a sway bar in the front . It would never turn then. Unless on flat track when can kick the rear end out under power . I have my shocks 2 notches above bottom setting all way around . No complaints here. Brand/size of tire and psi have a lot to do with this was well. I honestly feel these do a adequate job myself . But I have realistic expectations because of what this quad was designed to to .

#15 ·
Reactions: Tnsniper
#16 ·
So I removed the rear sway bar, added some preload to the front shocks. ride is much smoother. It always seem to want to lift the inside rear tire on a turn but not anymore, could be the preload or a combination of removing the rear bar.

#17 ·
Makes sense . It’s transferring more weight to back now. I agree I like it without the sway bar ,But At high speed trying to slide in or out of a turn the rear won’t stay planted and kick out into a slide. Hard to explain. But the sway bar makes it forgiving . If the rear hooks up hard you’ll never have a chance to save it .it’s gone roll on top of you without warning . Trust me. Riding without it is fine. But know the limits and don’t press your luck and get overconfident with the bar unhooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.