Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just riding along and bam my tire flew off and I flew over handle bars..:silvia:

·
Registered
424 Posts
You are going to need to clarify what flew off...just the tire...the tire and rim....the axle hub unit....did it come completely detached and roll away? Are the wheel nuts gone? And I hope you are OK and not too messed up!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire rim ..strut and shock broke. The end of the cv axle broke off as well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The spring fell off also. Will look closer at it tomorrow. Feeling beat up I flew over the handle bars.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am going to guess and say the lower ball joint let go, you must have been going at a fair clip to snap the top of the strut out. The cv would have just separated and gone with the hub section. As I say this is just a guess without seeing the damage done, but I would say the lower control arm is still in place. Check to see if the ball joint is tore apart.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is tore apart. Sucks I just got it running really good .
Damn what a ride . I went over the handle bars and ripped a good pair of shorts on something.
Feeling a little rough.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Glad to hear your okay.... other then some bumps and bruises. The machine on the other hand will be easier to repair!

Be interesting to hear / see what failed, to cause this..... keep us posted!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think the ball joint let loose to cause this, that is all that really holds the strut assembly to the front if it goes everything follows and at speed that can cause a fair amount of damage. Check the other side for wear at the ball joint as it wouldn't be too far behind the other. You may have to fabricate a new strut mount if the old one is too bent up, not a hard job.
As I said I hope you are not too messed up better a pair shorts than hanging up on one of the "boys" on the handle bars......yikes. Might be worth a trip to the Doctor to have a once over if you don't feel better in a few days.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
ripped a good pair of shorts on something.
That right there would piss any man off.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hopefully your friends approved, gave you a thumbs up, and said it looked really cool!

Then you get up and say, "Meh, no biggie."

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha.. Yup we was all Laughing our asses off lmafo.
Thanx for the kind words dudes.
And yes you are right pgjeepster..
Lower ball join came off and he rest followwed. Snapped the top of the shock where it mounts clean off.
I welded the shock back together . Put it all back together with lock tite and new codder pins.
Seems to ride really good again. Will be doing more testing today.
I'm just glad I didn't have to buy any parts :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
You should do the other ball joint .....don't want a repeat performance, something nearer and dearer may get ripped this time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got everything checked out its running super awesome with a new carb kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts