Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tires are wearing out pretty quickly. Is there away to check to see if the alignment is within specs?

·
Registered
745 Posts
You can download a service manual from the polaris website. It will give you the measurements for adjusting the tie rods correctly.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have done alignments on my Jeeps for YEARS!! I had some wobbles in my 700 and did mine last month.

I take two 48" pieces of 3/4" aluminum angle iron. (36" is plenty for ATV's) I attach them with small bungee cords to each of the front tires, level to the ground and parallel to each other. Then measure between the ends of each. IIRC at static height, they should be 1/4" Toed out. I prefer 0-1/8" IN.

CW

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Here's the way I set mine up. Had it at 1/16" when I was done.
Hope this helps, Buddy

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
I don't know if the manual is free or not. I just saw on there a couple of weeks ago that it is available for download.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Just looking at the front tires should tell you if they are close to being aligned, stand in front of the machine and look at it, they should be almost straight with the back tires, align like cwlongshot says and it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I tried it like diesel said first but the overall width of the front is 2" wider than the rear due to offset on my wheels. It ended up being way off. Looked like this from the top

\\<I I>//

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't know if this makes much sense but I heard from the dealer that your tires should actually sit /-\ something like that when no one is on the bike when your looking from the front to the back. As for your toe in/out no sure. They said when you get on the bike the wheels become straight.I'm no mechanic but thats what I heard

·
Registered
667 Posts
you cannot go buy how the front tires look to know how the toe is set. many quads look like they are all toed out when they are not,the polaris xp is real bad for this. useing a string around the tires or a bar on each side does not work with any tire with side lugs and many have side lugs. a very simple way i use is,most tires have a rib going down the center,take 2 small 1.5" screws and screw them into a lug about a 1/8" where the center line is on each front tire and tape measure the front,jack up spin the tires 180 let the quad down and check the rear,i set toe at 0 ,if you want your steering to be a little more stiff set toe to 1/4" out,if you want more easy steer set it 1/4" in. make sure your bars stay straight if you have to make a toe adjustment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts