Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Magnum 425 on which the rear drive chain just recently broke. In order to get home, I selected the 4wd mode and drove in with just the front wheels powered. It steered with some difficulty, but I made it. Today I went out to work on it and it would not move forward, only reverse. The CV shafts are moving, but not the ATV. Putting it in reverse and pressing the override button allows travel backwards. Any suggestions?

It also seems as though the clutch mechanism has started to wear through the plasic cover, exposing the internal parts. The cover is on and in the correct position. It makes quite a bit of noise at idle but as it starts to engage the belt, it stops and compresses enough to miss the cover.

I am new to this sight and appreciate the fact that so many people are willing to help.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
im not sure about the front end issue, but if your clutches are rubbing through the housing i would check your motor mounts to see if any are bad and have allowed the engine and clutches to shit that way

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
gotta be a bad connection up front somewhere.
when you were coming back, you may have been going a lil too slow for the fins on the clutches to cool the belt and housing.when the housings get hot, they warp,much like yours sounds. time for a new belt and outer housing,new foam seal too you could try breese lawn and garden ,they do alot of stuff on ebay and they are a polaris dealer and usually less than retail

1 - 4 of 4 Posts