Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Sportsman 500 6x6 and both front wheels do not engage in 6x6 mode. The light comes on the pod when switched but wheels do not turn.

I'm changing the hub fluid this weekend hoping that it could be just that.

How does the front hubs engage, mechanical or electrically ?

What are the steps in troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Try changing fluid first. They engage electrically thats why you need clean fluid in order to operate correctly. It could also be that you have a brocken roller cage inside the differential.

·
11,576 Posts
Try changing fluid first. They engage electrically thats why you need clean fluid in order to operate correctly. It could also be that you have a brocken roller cage inside the differential.
It don't have a cage in the front diff. Hilliards are in the hubs. Change fluid first and check connections to the struts.
Are you actually jacking the machine off the ground to check it? It won't engage till the rears slip.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The rears have to slip 1/8 of a wheel revolution in order for the front to engage

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
They didn't go to a central Hilliard in 2004.5 like ATVs?

Sean

·
11,576 Posts
Not according to the microfiche Boburk. Polaris probably had a bunch of parts they need to use up I guess. Looks like they didn't change the 6x6 over till 09.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, i will change the fluid first. I noticed that the front was not engaging while going up hill in reverse and that the back tires were slipping and the front was doing nothing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
thanks, i will change the fluid first. I noticed that the front was not engaging while going up hill in reverse and that the back tires were slipping and the front was doing nothing.
For the AWD to work i reverse you need to press the yellow overide button on the handle bar.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
:withstupid: What he said.... AWD in Reverse = Press & Hold Yellow Override button (left thumb), while AWD switch is engaged!!

It also won't hurt to change the hub fluid!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts