Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have bought a canam. I have 39hrs on my new ranger. 3hrs after the first service me belt blows up into pieces. 15km from my house at night time in the snow. I had to hike out. Get my buddy and his sxs Polaris rzr. He starts towing me blows up his 4x4. 2 days later I've got my ranger out of the bush towed it out with my 2002 honda rancher. Shaft driven !!! Then i go to the comox dealer where i bought it from. No we won't cover that belt that broke. So i buy two belts one as a spare $410 !! Bring in the pieces of the old belt take some pics. Am i ever dissatisfied with polaris. A wiper for the window is 600 the glass is 1000. I already bought a useless poly window no wiper for 560 bucks when i bought the unit. I wish i bought a honda or can am so badly. Im in not compensated for these belts im going to being Polaris down i swear to god

·
Registered
776 Posts
So far you’ve had one bad belt! Have you priced all those parts for a can am or Honda? I’ve had one issue in 3 years with 2 Polaris’s, a voltage regulator. And it happened further than 15km out. I couldn’t be happier about them. Give it a chance, could turn out well still!

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Buddy sounds like you blew your belt in some SHIT!!!! Cause your bud blew his 4x4 in it also. If you think for one minute Can-Am has a better rep YOUR WRONG!!! Do your research Can-Am's have some serious issues!!!! SERIOUS!!! Now I'm not even going to comment on honDAH because they don't build enough power to break shit. Plus it's like riding a mechanical bull, GARBAGE!!

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Yeah - you should trade the Polaris for a Can Am (I think they are both built in Mexico), but a belt for the CA 1000 Commander (part number 715900212 ) is only $175, so two belts only $350.

Be sure to check into the replacement procedure - it may not behoove you to have a spare belt if it takes 4 hours and $400 in special tools to do the job. Each machine has it's own pitfalls. I have a friend with a 2006 Honda TRX680FA shaft drive - he is having trouble getting it into reverse.

He caused the problem by plowing snow with it and shifting from forward to reverse without coming to a complete stop. The transmission is driven by a torque converter and is hydraulically shifted, but forward and reverse is controlled by the manual shifted sub-transmission.

This Honda can be repaired without removing the engine from the frame. It only requires disassembly of the final drive, removal of the sub-frame and removal of the swing arm to be able to remove the rear cover of the sideways mounted engine. $450 in transmission parts, a rear cover gasket, engine oil, an oil filter, final drive oil and $1500 in labor, three weeks in the shop and it's almost as good as new.

Where does the blame lay? Were you in mud, flogging the engine and burning the belt or were you on a hillside screaming the engine when you should have been using a winch? You disclosed the results, but you failed to disclose the situation. You only flamed your displeasure about something which may have been caused by your ignorance of the limits of the vehicle and failure to prepare for the unexpected.

You bought the 'toy' for recreation. Quit yer bitchin and swallow your ego. If you spent $80K on a 4x4 Range Rover and burnt the transmission out trying to cross a peat bog, would you expect the dealer to cover the repair? I think most warranties exclude failures due to abuse, failure to maintain and normal wear items. I believe belts are considered normal wear items and not covered by warranty.

At least Honda was upfront when I bought my CRF250 race bike - it came with a title, owners service manual, tool kit and a warranty card. The title proclaimed "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" and the warranty card stated "NO WARRANTY" - if I was going to ride off road and race it, it was mine - I was responsible for all repairs resulting form my abuse of the failure of the product from faulty materials or workmanship. First thing I did was contact my insurance carrier and take out full coverage insurance (protects me and the vehicle). Second thing I did was take it apart, check all the parts and assure it was assembled correctly and everything was tightened properly. That was in 2004 - that vehicle is as dependable today as it was the day I started riding it, but I do the required maintenance and more. The engine is rebuilt every 30 hours of racing and the entire bike is disassembled every winter, all the parts inspected, old grease is washed out and new grease packed in - any parts with perceptible wear are replaced and some perfectly usable parts are replaced as a matter of preventative maintenance. By the way, it requires more tools than the tool kit that came with it contains. I have over $250K in tools and manufacture many of my own tools. Here's a couple pics of a Polaris 400L counter balance puller and an enrichener nut socket. I sell the sockets for $10 with free shipping if anyone is interested. polman500 and DTLMG have them. How are they working out for you?

·
Registered
776 Posts
“Yeah - you should trade the Polaris for a Can Am (I think they are both built in Mexico), but a belt for the CA 1000 Commander (part number 715900212 ) is only $175, so two belts only $350.”-Latebird
That’s $460.00 CDN. The $410.00 CDN he paid for 2 Polaris belts was the better deal!

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
“Yeah - you should trade the Polaris for a Can Am (I think they are both built in Mexico), but a belt for the CA 1000 Commander (part number 715900212 ) is only $175, so two belts only $350.”-Latebird
That’s $460.00 CDN. The $410.00 CDN he paid for 2 Polaris belts was the better deal!
Yeah, my world is central US - I didn't even consider the location - OP should have bought domestic and not imported :rolleyes:

Am I wrong about BRP moving to Mexico?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts