Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm new to the forums, this looks like a great forum from what I have seen so far. I have a 2004 Sportsman 500 H.O.

Here's my problem. I took off my carb to give it a cleaning and replace the needle valve to hopefully stop the fuel leak from the carb overflow when it sits. After reassembly it won't start. It has spark. If I squirt a little fuel in the carb when cranking it starts right up and idles for a second and shuts off. So I check the fuel lines and the line coming into the left side of the carb has no fuel at all coming out of it while cranking. The fuel line on the right side of the carb has a slow trickle out of it at all times, cranking or not. The fuel shutoff can be in either position and there is no change in flow of either of the two lines. The one on the right side always flowed fuel even when the fuel was shut off.

My first question is what are the two fuel lines and what are their exact functions? Should there be fuel coming out of both of them?

I have found conflicting answers on whether or not this machine has a fuel pump or not. I did a search online for a fuel pump and I find pictures of something that I did find on my machine with the fuel lines running to it. It does not appear to have any wires to it and is not connected to anything like a mechanical pump would have. So, how in the world does that thing pump fuel if there is nothing to run it?

·
11,130 Posts
LOL...sounds like you mixed up the lines. The pump works off a vacuum pulse from the right side of the carb. The line with fuel running out is probably the fuel supply line that goes on the left side of the carb and fills the carb bowl. If that's not the case you may have a diaphragm bad in the pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts