Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all! I am pretty new here and have been reading through some of the posts looking for opinions regarding fuel efficiency between the 550 and the 850 XP's. The wife and I are going to buy a pair of them this spring. My current 2000 500 Sportsman RSE has been trouble free since day one but is getting old and I want to upgrade. We both LOVE the feel of the XP machines vs non- XP and the cran-am's. (let alone the PRICE of them!). We do more scenic trail riding than anything. Long, abandoned railroad grades that go for 50 or more miles between towns and just exploring the wilderness away from ANYTHING... which is the reason for my question- Mile for mile, trail for trail, how much more fuel is the 850 gonna drink versus the 550? I am pretty sure the 550 EFI is going to be better than the old 500 carb, but I don't want to be fueling an 850 continuously when riding. I don't feel the need for doing wheelies and I'm not pulling trailers on a farm... but the 850 is only about $1k more than the 550 which makes the testosterone in me say H3LL YAH!! I want THAT!!!
Sorry for the long post by the new guy... just looking for some input from some knowledgable folks!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The 850 is a huge gas HOG. romping around with mine alot of low gear I might get 40 miles to a TANK. just cruising I dont know bc I cant keep my thumb out of it lol

My S3 addiction!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The 850 isn't terrible, but it is nowhere near as good as a 550.

IMO if you are just trail riding, and wanting good MPG's go with a 550. Have you checked out the 570?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We both sat on the 570 and the 550 side by side on the showroom floor... and we both really liked the feel of the 550 over the 570.

I wouldn't call myself an aggressive rider, but do enjoy rock climbing once in a while and occasionally a run through some mud and swamp. I already plan on upgrading the tires to something with a more enhanced tread design without ruining the long trail rides.

I guess the most important factor would be ride quality over an extended time. We are both mid 40's and aren't into hard core boggin' or hill climbs, or spraying earth everywhere when we "Get on it"... Comfy and efficient more than anything.

I am still a guy, so having the 850 between the knees would make it pretty hard to NOT "get on it" when the thumb looses it's connection to the mature conscience.

If the 850 uses substantially more fuel, I will stick with the 550. I would rather enjoy a full day riding with friends over being concerned with where the next fuel stop will be. We DO plan on picking up the Kolpin fuel pack for the front racks... just to be safe though!

Thanks for the feedback! Keep 'em coming!

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
I'm going to say the 850 might get upwards of 70 miles per tank and the 550 probably 110 mpt. Thats a rough estimate. Sounds like the 550 is going to serve ur needs. But get the 850's and carry rotopax fuel tanks. That way u can have ur cake and eat too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My vote is the 850. I just bought my first polaris. A 2010 550 xp touring and I think it sucks fuel. That's not with a lot of experience though. While the 550 is no dog my next bike will be an 850 touring for me. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Where I ride with friends there are gas stations along the way. Between an xp 550, scrambler 500, sportsman 500 and my xp 850 touring the difference isn't much. Stopping to fuel up only 3 hours into the ride mine seems to use a couple tenths of a gallon more of gas. It's practically not relevant especially because I could carry a lot of gas with me if I had a problem

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My vote is the 850. I just bought my first polaris. A 2010 550 xp touring and I think it sucks fuel. That's not with a lot of experience though. While the 550 is no dog my next bike will be an 850 touring for me. Just my 2cents.
I would think if the 550 is a hog, the 850 would be worse! We won't be doing the touring models, so hopefully that will help a little. I would think the 550 EFI will be somewhat better on fuel than my old 500 carb model... I have my fingers crossed anyways!

I guess it won't make a big difference either way. Just have t stop and gas up when needed, thats all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where I ride with friends there are gas stations along the way. Between an xp 550, scrambler 500, sportsman 500 and my xp 850 touring the difference isn't much. Stopping to fuel up only 3 hours into the ride mine seems to use a couple tenths of a gallon more of gas. It's practically not relevant especially because I could carry a lot of gas with me if I had a problem
That is good info right there! Not enough difference to worry about... Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 550 if you ride like a grandpa purty much flat to slight rolling hills you might at best get 16 mpg, if I ride hilly terrain but still being easy on it I might get about 13 mpg. If I ride faster trails up and down and around. At a aggressive pace. I get 10 mpg. If I had 2 do it over I'd get the 850.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I got a 850 for me and a 550 for my wife....Theres some difference in gas consumption but the 850 is well worth the extra $15 I'm gonna spend in a weekend in extra gas.. Trust me...you will want the 850!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I get at or close to 20MPG with my 550 if I am just cruising. Elevation, speed, weight and how you romp on the throttle will all be factors.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have owned both the 550 and 850. The 850 gas mileage is not much worse than the 550 if you don't ride it hard. If you put on heavier tires it will decrease the mileage on either machine. I am keeping stock tires on my Scrambler 850 for now. The trails I ride there is very little I can't get through with the awd on. If the mud is super deep I try to go around it if possible. If you don't need the power the 550 is fine and will get a little more range.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I thought I saw someone post on here they got 23-24MPG with their 550's. That seems plausible to me with low elevation, steady speed and flat terrain. Not sure at what speed or RPM that mileage significantly drops off though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My take is get the 850 for you and whichever your wife wants for her. I'm at the point where I always get the biggest engine in all of my vehicles. The thousand dollars over the long run is nothing compared to even one instance of wanting more power but not having it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am positive we will be happy with our machines. Knowing there will be little difference between the machines, we will just make sure we have ample fuel in the tank and on the racks! We simply LOVE wheeling, so I believe the worst part of it will be washing the dust off our smiles when we finally get to ride this year!!!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It really depends on riding style. My buddy has an 850 and can do about 75-80 on a tank. His wife has a 550 and barely uses half a tank on the same ride

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
100 to 125 miles per tank on my 2012 550eps. Mostly mountain logging roads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
100 to 125 miles per tank on my 2012 550eps. Mostly mountain logging roads.
Thanks for the info! Anyone got a report for the 850 on somewhat equivalent terrain/ trails?

I would expect apples to apples it would be about 60- 80 miles...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 13 850HO, I weigh in at 325 and ride pretty fast, 70 - 80 miles per tank. If slow sight seeing maybe a little more but I carry 4 gals. so I've never been caught shot. Just remember you can always find gas, Hp is a lot harder
to go back to find.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts