Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im doing some mods on my 2012 500 HO and noticed a cut in my fuel emission tube with blue marker from the factory right next to it. My questions are #1 should it be there? #2 what does the F.E.T. actually do?
I will take a pick in someone wants to see it.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
The cut is suppose to be there. It should be close to the nipple in the tank? It's there so that if that line becomes pinched or plugged, it can still vent through that slit.

That line I believe goes into your airbox, where the fuel vapors would be injected back into the cylinder and burned off. The goal is to keep fuel vapors out of the air.

I'm pretty sure anyway.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
It was explained to me once that the line is there to vent pressure buildup from the head. Without it, the gases in the head would heat up and blow the gasket or pop the head or valve cover off. The slit is as blueline15 said: there to relief pressure from the line in the event of clogging.

Stew

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks! You guys are Awesome. I thought it was nicked during assembly and I had to replace it. However the blue marker next to it made me think twice. The hose says 50psi on it as well so I thought it was some sort of pressure hose that obviously would not be working with a cut in it. Problem solved!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would like to see a picture of this assembly. Are you sure it goes into the airbox? The only two hoses that go into the air box are the crankcase breather, and the oil tank breather. I had to replace every single hose on my machine due to a fire, I'm just wondering if I missed something. It does make sense that there would be a breather on the valve cover to vent emissions and blow-by gasses, but I did not see one. I guess it is possible that emissions vent down the timing chain galley and into the crankcase.

Cheers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Part #21 in the pic. Listed as:

BREATHER-LINE-115 CM,SLIT

Is this what you are talking about? I have mine routed to the oil tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I would like to see a picture of this assembly. Are you sure it goes into the airbox? The only two hoses that go into the air box are the crankcase breather, and the oil tank breather. I had to replace every single hose on my machine due to a fire, I'm just wondering if I missed something. It does make sense that there would be a breather on the valve cover to vent emissions and blow-by gasses, but I did not see one. I guess it is possible that emissions vent down the timing chain galley and into the crankcase.

Cheers.
Your probably right about where it goes. I didn't check before I replied. I started getting lazy last night and guessed.

I always have to check hose routing on a microfiche and didn't, so I very likely could be wrong.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That is the hose in question. The one Bezerk1 refers to as part #21. It comes out of the air box and wraps around the front of the headlight pod. It's really buried And I could not get a quality pic of it but the slice is in the hose as it wraps in front of the light pod. not close to the air box.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was wondering about the same hose, i noticed it because my oil tank was getting a wet spot on the right side of it, so i took it apart and saw the slit in the hose, now my question is, is it ok for it to be leaking small amounts of oil or gas through the slit ?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I was wondering about the same hose, i noticed it because my oil tank was getting a wet spot on the right side of it, so i took it apart and saw the slit in the hose, now my question is, is it ok for it to be leaking small amounts of oil or gas through the slit ?
I have wondered the same thing as mine has done this for over 1200 miles and still runs very well. Always have some oil spotting on the side of my tank, but never dripping oil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yea, mine just had that wet spot on the side ( so I assumed that it was oil dripping out), I took the quad in for its second oil change and checkup ( 1100 kms on it already) and the mechanic told me its not an issue, he actually showed me another quad where the slid is a bit further down the line ( not so close to the oil tank) and there was spotting around the area where the slit was, he told me its no big deal and if the spotting was bothering me, to put another hose and slit it a bit further so the tank wont get that wet spot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Btw I did changed the hose because the old one was really sloppy (the slit was wide open) and now with the new slit one I haven't noticed any wet spot so far.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Btw I did changed the hose because the old one was really sloppy (the slit was wide open) and now with the new slit one I haven't noticed any wet spot so far.
Nice, good to know this.

The way I figure, better on the side of the tank than in my airbox :p

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts