Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I have a 330 ATV quad,2005 model.it was running, then last week it started loosing higher revs and popping,showing signs of the timing been out etc, I think it was the spark plug failing as it fired up and seemed to rev OK with a new plug.
But....this morning there was a strong smell of fuel, and it took a while to start. It started and ran for a few minutes I pushed in the choke then noticed a puddle of fuel underneath so turned it off. On investigating I found that the fuel was running like a stream from the left hand pipe on the air filter box. The mixture is fuel / oil and the pipe is coming from the engine with a white plastic tube half way down the pipe which I presume is either a filter or non return valve ? My fuel tank is completely empty so presume its got into the engine and through engine pressure is getting pumped into the air box, but what is causing this and how do I fix it ??? Cheers karl

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
Check that the float valve isn't being obstructed by any sediment or build up on the needle that shuts off the flow of fuel to the carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, at first I was thinking allsorts like valves, piston and or rings,but it still started and ran, didn't cross my mind that it could be a simple thin like a needle valve, but thinking about it, if the fuel isn't shut off then gravity will be flooding the carb overnight and leaking through the rings into the engine oil and pressure inside the engine will be pumping the excess fuel/oil back through the air box....thanks again for your reply, carb strip down it is then....cheers

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
My first guess is that the o-ring that seals the float needle seat to the carb body has shrunk and fuel is by-passing the o-ring and overfilling the carb causing fuel to overflow the carb, seep past the rings and filling the crankcase with fuel. You might have a defective float needle.

Check the oil after running the engine for a minute - it will probably be overfull.

Change the oil, drain the air box, replace the air filter if necessary, start shutting the fuel off when not running and if the problem continues, have the carb serviced.

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
Hey quick question for you, how popular is Eddie Hall over there on your side of the pond?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have just googled Eddie hall, do you mean the body builder ? Have to admit I've not heard of him before now....

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
Eddie Hall won the 2017 world's strongest man contest. It's a pretty incredible accomplishment. As I can imagine most guys here in the states wouldn't know who Brian Shaw is and over the last several years he has won the WSM 4 times. But in some European countries the strength sports are more popular take Poland for example of what I gather 5 time champion Mariusz Pudzianowski and the Ukraines Zydrunas Savickas 3 time champion are quite the celebrity.

Thanks for the reply I was just curious as to the popularity of strongman in England.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts