Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I will start by describing the issue I am having and then what I have done to try and rectify the problem.

So on a cold start the machine will run fine for 10-20 minutes then it will essentially run out of fuel. I am then required to pull the fuel line off of the (what I believe is a vacuum assisted fuel pump?) and lower the line until fuel starts coming out again. (a small amount will come out initially, then a hiccup of nothing, then fuel will pour out).

Another 10-20minutes down the road, machine dies......repeat fuel line purge, another 10-20 and another purge.

At this point it usually runs fine (or at least has so far, issue is new but seems to be a constant number of purges before it will keep running).

I removed all the fuel lines leading up to the (fuel pump block?) and made sure there were no blockages.
Air was easily blown through the shut off (petcock) valve.
Line from tank to shut off was clear, as was the line from the shut off to the (fuel pump).

I also removed the pickup from the fuel tank and the mesh filter looks to be in good shape with no visible blockages on the filter itself.

All of the line checking was done yesterday and the machine did the same thing today on my way to my hunting grounds.

I did not trace any of the vacuum lines coming off the pump block but thought today that maybe I should have.

Anyway, any suggestions, remedies will be much appreciated as it is a PITA to have to dump the line every 10 or so minutes.

TIA

EDIT: Also made sure the fuel tank vent line was unclogged and air was moving through it freely both ways. Does not seem to be a venting problem because I had even tried opening the fuel cap every few minutes when I had it out the other day and it did not help at all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are these pumps easily serviceable?

I do not recall fuel coming from the pulse line but I will pull it later today and double check.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There are rebuild kits for them for under $10 and they are very simple to rebuild. If there is fuel in the pulse line it's an indicator of a torn diaphragm in the pump.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked and no fuel in the pulse line.

Also blew into the tank vent and air passed into the tank with no problems, tank pressured up a bit and expelled the air I had blown into it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wife and I took the machines out today for about 3.5hrs and the thing ran like a top, no stalling out this time.

Possible that it was getting air locked previously? It was much cooler today than it had been when the problem was occurring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts