Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Polaris Sportsman 500. I use it primarily as a plow for my long mountain driveway. It runs well in the colder weather but won't even start in the warmer weather. This summer, after trying to get it to start, I opened up the air filter box and found about a half inch of fuel inside and my air filter had disintegrated. My question is what could cause this and how would one go about solving this issue. I have taken the carburetor off and opened it up (figured it is due for a rebuild) and it looks pretty clean. Also where could I find the screws for the carburetor as two of the screws were so striped that I had to drill them out? Thanks you all for reading this and I am open to any suggestions that you all may have.

Thanks
David Bretag

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Does your engine oil smell like fuel too? Common enough, if the needle valve is leaking or stuck, then fuel winds up in the crankcase. However there should be a small plastic tube off the bottom of the float bowl that should be dumping fuel onto the ground if it is getting too much....and you will usually have a fuel smell when you run the machine. Unless that overflow tube is plugged inside the carb or you are parked on a hill with the front higher than the rear, fuel should not end up in the air box. There are vent tubes off the top of the carb, but they should be stuck into the frame not the air box. Stuck choke would do it too I suppose. I would have to guess that you are getting too much fuel into/through the carb. Probably needle and seat. If you have the carb apart, you can look at the tip of the needle valve under magnification....at least I need magnification.....if there is a shelf or groove look to it, it is done for and needs to be replaced. Float could be an issue too, so inspect it carefully. If it is brass or hollow plastic, there should be no liquid in it...you can hear is sloshing if you shake it. Needle and seat or float are the most common problems on older machines. The other is crap in the passage, holding the needle valve open so make sure you plow out all the passages. I know there are a few aftermarket companies that offer carb rebuild kits. To my knowledge, Polaris does not. They want you to buy each part individually. Needle valve is about 35 bucks. Screws you can get from Polaris, but I bet they are an SAE machine thread you could match at a hardware store.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking her to the nearest shop for some service and some love. You guys were able to help me verify my own thoughts and the service guy said the same stuff. Dropping her off today for a few things and hope to have her ready for the first round of snow.

Thanks stave, you sound like you know your stuff. The service guy had all the same thoughts and Info.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Thank you! I trained as a mechanic 30 years ago and have always enjoyed fixing stuff. It's the challenge I guess. I am glad I could help. Good luck with it!

Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love trying to fix things myself and usually do well in that area but this one was time sensitive and I have young children that require the attention I once had for things like this. Figured this was worth taking to a shop so that I get it back quick and know that it is in good order. I added you to my contacts list for future reference.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Yep, been there done that. Still have to sometimes and my children are all grown and gone......Sometimes it is just works better to have someone else take care of it.....it still bugs me to pay someone to do something I can do myself......it just works out that it is the only option to get things done on time.

Let us know what they found out!

Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So they took care of a number of things for me. Rebuilt the carb, there was fuel in the crankcase, full service and fluids topped off, new CV boot, and on and on. Guess I should have had a new battery tossed in there though. It worked great and sounded good at the shop after he jumped it but when I got it home.... No love for getting it started. Gonna have to go get a battery to finish this off. Waiting for that first good snow so that I can get a sweet pic to post on the boards. I had to weld together my own snow plow lift because the one that is already on it has rusted itself into one solid piece of steel. What I cam up with is ugly as sin but works far better then the previous lift. Can't wait to share that with the board. Thanks again for all the info you provided. It always helps to know what's up when you drop something off for service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts