Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Sportsman Touring 500 EFI that is leaking fuel. It leaks more when I completely fill the tank. My garage was very smelly with fumes ---- Made me nervous! After a day or two it slows down and stops leaking. I am wondering where to start looking. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i would start from the fuel tank on back....check all fittings...lines...take a brown type paper towel and dab connections to see if any are wet...the brown will show any minute wetness...look for wet spots on ground....place cardboard under it to detect any leaks...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had that exact problem when I bought my "new to me" quad. Problem turned out to be a crack right where the fill hole meets the tank.

Obviously when full, it would slosh around and leak.

I tried to use a fuel tank repair glue, but so far no luck. I am waiting for the weather to warm up and I'll try again, also I think I should have scuffed up the plastic before using the glue.

You can see the glue separating from the plastic in the pic.

Also, the gas spilled down the outside plastic and ruined the decals:

Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll look into both of these suggestions and get back to you as to what I have found.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
i would start from the fuel tank on back....check all fittings...lines...take a brown type paper towel and dab connections to see if any are wet...the brown will show any minute wetness...look for wet spots on ground....place cardboard under it to detect any leaks...
Great advise..... Start at the top and work your way down. If it leaks more at full.... top if off and start your search! I'd guess it's on the outlet. Hopefully it's just a hose, but I'f guess fuel pump gasket?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts