Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Forum! So recently I brought my scrambler 500 home to work on it over the winter. I noticed very strong gas fumes filling up my garage and house. I figured it was my gas cap since its missing the plastic piece over the gauge but taping that didnt help.

When I looked at my Carb i noticed the lower head was completely soaked in gas! It was leaking from that little silver nipple whenever I would shake the Quad. Check the pics out for more detail. There was nothing on the end of that little nipple so I added a tube and a screw to stop it from leaking and stinking up my house. Can someone please tell me what this is and why it is leaking? Is there supposed to be a tube connected to it?

Thanks!

Pics:

From the CVT side:

The thing thats leaking(Note the added tube)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
First, welcome to the board.

Its either your floats are stuck inside the bowl, or you needle seat needs to be replaced.
OR as in my case, the screw for the drain was over tightened. :yup::yup: I rebuilt the carb on mine, replaced the needle and seat and it still leaked... A 2.45 cent screw fixed the problem.!!

LOL

BTW< there is supposed to be a hose on it. It runs down the the swing arm where it drains to the ground.

CW

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it would involve something like that. How hard is it to rebuld one of these? My local RoyalDistributing sells the complete Rebuilt kit for $26.99 so I would consider doing it myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Its either your floats are stuck inside the bowl, or you needle seat needs to be replaced.
OR as in my case, the screw for the drain was over tightened. :yup::yup: I rebuilt the carb on mine, replaced the needle and seat and it still leaked... A 2.45 cent screw fixed the problem.!!

LOL

CW
Hmm lol. Did yours drip when you moved or shook the quad like mine? Where did you get the screw from?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
There is that possiblility too, but you dont see it too often, especially if you havent touched it since before it started leaking.

Check with the rebuild kits. Probably not a bad idea to do at this point anyway, but most complete rebuild kits will not include floats or the needle seat. the needle seat alone usually runs $20-$30 by itself.

familiar with carbs at all?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is that possiblility too, but you dont see it too often, especially if you havent touched it since before it started leaking.

Check with the rebuild kits. Probably not a bad idea to do at this point anyway, but most complete rebuild kits will not include floats or the needle seat. the needle seat alone usually runs $20-$30 by itself.

familiar with carbs at all?
The description says it "Includes all necessary Gaskets, O-Rings, Float Valve assembly or Float needles and Jets to Rebuild one O.E.M Carb"

Not sure if it would include that or not.

I will try the little screw for now, But yeah I do agree with you on it needing a rebuild anyways. It's 10 years old so it wouldnt be a bad idea.

I work at a place who work with powersport Carbs alot so I could get it done there.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

LOL

BTW< there is supposed to be a hose on it. It runs down the the swing arm where it drains to the ground.

CW

where do you find a .45 cent piece? :silvercup:

oh and the carb rebuild suggestion was a good one - DO IT. you will not regret it.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
LOL

The tip on my screw was corroded on one side and when I removed the bowl, there was rust in the bottom.

I agree if its been sitting a rebuild is a good idea. Its not difficult, follow instructions. Go where you have lots of light, stay away from distractions and you should get it done in under an hour. One thing, buy PLASTIC SAFE cleaner!!!! Spray all holes and orifices out liberally! I used a big metal dog bowl to hold and wash parts in.

I never looked at mine when still. It would drip at idle but stop with higher RPMs. When your done, buy yourself a bottle of SEA FOAM. run it in every couple tanks. The stuff is amazing, far better then Stabill.

GOOD LUCK!!

CW

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! This Forum rocks! Looks like i will have to get myself a Kit and rebuild it. Would a carb cleaner be fine or does it have to be plastic safe?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys! This Forum rocks! Looks like i will have to get myself a Kit and rebuild it. Would a carb cleaner be fine or does it have to be plastic safe?
New Member, just discovered my 07 scrambler leaking in the same place, the poly line on mine has I believe a disc looking check valve.Did your carb rebuild fix your problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi ya'll. Newbie here. I have fuel leaking out of the same nipple on the bottom of my carb. It has that thin clear spaghetti line/hose hanging from it loosley that I never noticed before today. Is it supposed to leak gas like that? Is that thin clear line supposed to just hang loose to drain on the ground? Seems like a big fire hazard? The qaud has been sitting for a few months. If I tried to plug it with a screw, it would most certainly not stay attached to the nipple. Unless I cut the end off thats loose from being attached to the nipple. You know? Do I need to fix whyever that nipple is leaking in the first place? Thanks for any help. I dont know all the part names obviously, so please try to dumb it down for me as best you can. Its a 1999 polaris sportsman 500, 45th anniverserry edition if that helps at all. Looks just like the carb in the original posters pics of the leaky nip.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! As for your carb leaking. That nipple at the bottom of the carb serves two purposes. First it is an overflow, so that any time the float bowl gets too much fuel, it runs out onto the ground instead of filling the crankcase with fuel. Secondly it serves as a drain. Loosen the little screw there and it will drain all the fuel out of the carb.

No they are not supposed to leak fuel. That indicates a problem. Yes, the small line is supposed to be there. Its purpose is to direct any fuel leaking out on to the ground instead of the hot engine. Just for the information, it looks like the one in the original post because it probably is exactly the same. All the 500 cc engines used the same carb. And as far as part for the engine go, the anniversary edition won't make any difference. Bodywork, it would, but the engine and drive train will be the same.

You don't say how many miles or hours but with the age, most likely the needle and seat in the carb are leaking. You are gonna need to take the carb apart and fix it. Ethanol in your fuel and age will wear them out. Polaris does not offer a rebuild kit, just the individual parts. However several aftermarket companies do offer complete kits for a lot less.

Rebuilding these is not all that difficult if you have any mechanical skills. Grab a repair manual and some tools and get started! Good luck with it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, thank you soo much for the quick reply. I forgot to mention the battery seems to be dead or very low from sitting too. It doesnt have enough juice to start the motor, but the pull start got it going for a few minutes and then it died and wouldnt restart. Probably a good thing since it was leaking so much gas all over itself. I dont have any expierience in rdbuilding a carb but I have an appointment at the local shop for next friday. Maybe you could send me a link for one of those afyermarket carbs you mentioned? I could probably find it but with my luck I would order a half kit, or one made for a model the size for a remote control atv. I have bad luck getting the right parts the first try with most every purchase Ive made down to headlight bulbs that should be very simple but I seem to be able to goof anyway. Lol!! Thanks again my man!! Oh yeah it has just over 200 hours run time. Not sure mileage?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Sorry, I haven't had good luck posting links to anything. Go to Ebay, type in a search for 1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 Carburetor and sift through the results. You are gonna get listings for complete carbs new and old along with everything else carb related. Find a brand that you trust or can look up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts