Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is an o ring that holds the float asembly. I have had the o ring fail twice. There is only 2 screws the hold the bowl on. I had to replace the gasket to stop another leak. The whole garage smelled like gas when that was leaking. Get the rebuild kit and change all the o rings and gaskets. This is on a 2011 scrambler. This had been the worst carb from leaking that I have ever had. I also have had a lot of trouble with the battery. When I bought the scrambler the battery was dead at the dealer they replaced the battery but gave me the original too. Even the new battery would be dead if it sat a week. So I switched back to original after charging. Worked fine but a week later it was dead again. So I ended up taking a battery out of my sled and put in it to try another one. It was a larger battery and a gel battery. Problem solved. I know it sounds like there was a draw on the battery but then the problem would has still been there with the gel battery. There is plenty of room in the battery box for a larger battery. Now I just swap the battery back and forth between the scrambler and my mxz 600.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2006 Polaris 400HO 4x4. While my wife was driving it the engine cut off on her. There was fuel pouring from that nipple on the float cover. Not sure if it is the seat or a stuck float. Has not been sitting too much. Have experience with rebuilding my KTM 300 carb. Haven't torn down this carb yet front eh Polaris. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
If you can do your KTM carb, you can do one of these. Probably have to take the front plastic and fuel tank off to get to it. After that it's not that difficult. Take your time and pay attention. It will probably take more time to get it off and the machine buttoned back up than it will to do the rebuild. Polaris does not use gaskets but an o-ring seal instead so you don't need to replace that part. Get a kit on line from an aftermarket company. Polaris does not sell a kit, but each individual part. While you are at it, pick up 4 stainless 4mmX16mm socket head screws and replace the float bowl screws. The phillips head on the OEM pieces hog out easily.

Most likely suspect inside there is the needle and seat. Some have an O-ring on the seat which is held to the carb body with a small clamp. The ethanol in our fuels tends to harden them and they fail. Another possibility is some kind of debris got past the filter and is holding the needle open.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riding my 2007 polaris hawkeye 300 4x4 today and the engine gave out.. while i was troubleshooting the issue i noticed fuel leaking from the long tube coming straight off the carb. I am not familiar with atv's at all but from what I have read so far it has to do with the float needle?

what parts/ kit do i need to order to fix the issue..

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you can do your KTM carb, you can do one of these. Probably have to take the front plastic and fuel tank off to get to it. After that it's not that difficult. Take your time and pay attention. It will probably take more time to get it off and the machine buttoned back up than it will to do the rebuild. Polaris does not use gaskets but an o-ring seal instead so you don't need to replace that part. Get a kit on line from an aftermarket company. Polaris does not sell a kit, but each individual part. While you are at it, pick up 4 stainless 4mmX16mm socket head screws and replace the float bowl screws. The phillips head on the OEM pieces hog out easily.

Most likely suspect inside there is the needle and seat. Some have an O-ring on the seat which is held to the carb body with a small clamp. The ethanol in our fuels tends to harden them and they fail. Another possibility is some kind of debris got past the filter and is holding the needle open.
Many newer motors have a drain vave in the bottom of the carby to drain excess fuel when not in use. This valve may block and as it is usually a rubber seal it can be removed for cleaning. There is a strong possibility that it is not the needle valve but this drain. It is easy to tell if there are tubes connected as the top is related to a needle valve problem and the bottom to the drain meant to stop modern fuels from glugging up the float bowl.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my 500 sportsman, the easiest way to stop the fuel from dripping is to shut the gas off, its the overflow for the carb, and yes there should be a tube directing the fuel away from the cylinder head,i have had my carb off a few times over the years to clean it, a little trick i do is to disassemble the float and the mane needle valve, put a Q-tip in my cordless drill and polish the inside of the sleeve where the valve slides up and down, also clean the needle really well, some times the tip will get dirt build up causing fuel to keep filling the bowl.
if that doesn't work then buy the rebuild kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the screw from ...

CW
Hi there, I just came across this site and post, as I just bought a 2006 Sportsman that does the same thing as the original poster here. I went to check out the screw you bought to remedy your issue and the link is dead, I was hoping you could find the product again and post a new link? Many thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only thing I could do to resolve this issue on my Scrambler 500 was to remove the float bowl on the bottom and run a thin bead of indian head gasket sealer onto it. Hasn't leaked since and it was draining a 1/4 tank sitting overnight! :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts