Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a general fuel line question. The hose is labeled "fuel line/emission". It is a black rubber hose but it appears to be full of a cotton like substance. Is this some sort of filter for emissions? It goes from the gas tank to the fuel selector switch, on the regular "on" side. I found it by trying to blow air through it. I was able to easily blow through the "reserve" hose that also goes to the tank. I checked 2 other hoses and they both appear to have this inside. I have never seen this before. I don't want to dig it out or try to poke it through if it's supposed to be that way.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Never seen a hose like that. I would remove it and replace it with new fuel line. Can you post a picture of it? Have you owned this machine since new? Someone may have put something in the tank.

·
12,222 Posts
I'm like you tt, I'd like to see a pic and I'd replace ALL the lines and wash out the tank, pump, carb and anything else I could think of.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not believing what I'm finding. Would you believe rolled up leaves and RTV or Liquid Rubber!

A little background: it ran fine in Arizona for 2 good rides, then it slowly got worse and worse until it wouldn't start. We came to Wyoming and I took it to the local Polaris dealer for a tune-up and carb cleaning. After a couple of weeks they told me that the carb was loaded up with some crud that their best solvent wouldn't touch! New carb $400. Okay, do it. Two weeks later I called for status and they told me the exhaust valves were shot. Another $600. Okay, but that's the limit! Two weeks later I called again. They don't EVER call me for anything, even after promising to do so. Anyway, this time they said it spun a bearing and was irreparable. So I told them to just put it together and I'd pick it up. I had told them that I wanted the old carburetor. Four days later I called and asked if it was ready to pick up. He said the mechanic was busy with a customer and he would call me when he was done. Three hours later, I called them back and he said it was ready. So I went and got it. They sent the new carb back.

Okay, so I took the carburetor and hit it with...gasp...carburetor cleaner and the gunk came out like maple syrup in warm water! I found the "frozen" butterfly and hit it several times over 2 days and got it working like new. So that was lie number one. They didn't even try to clean the carburetor. They just gave up and said that they ordered a new one, which they probably didn't do. I also found that there is no way they tore the engine apart to check the valves or any bearings because they couldn't do that without leaving tool marks on bolts or disturbing any dirt!!

Remember, it worked great for a short while in Arizona. It ran, period! Now I found a torn fuel line that the dealer tore, so it needs to be replaced. I see that it is a "fuel line/emissions" hose and has something inside of it, so I dissected it and found rolled up leaves that look an awful lot like tobacco leaves. The dealer had left the carb off for over a month, so leaf rolling wasps or bees might have done that. This particular hose goes from the carburetor diaphragm to the fuel pump.

The fuel line that I original asked about on here went from the fuel tank to the selector switch. I decided to dissect it, too. After all, it can't cost too much for a new one and it probably needs it anyway. So I cut it apart and found it full from end to end with RTV or Liquid Rubber! Now how in the heck did that get in there? I don't know of any bugs that would do that. Remember...it ran great in Arizona!

I have no proof, but it sure looks like sabotage.

Sorry for the long story. But the answer to my own question about the fuel line is, No, it is not normal to have something inside the fuel line! I honestly thought it was some kind of fiberous filter element that somehow had something to do with emissions!

I'll get pictures and upload them later.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm like you tt, I'd like to see a pic and I'd replace ALL the lines and wash out the tank, pump, carb and anything else I could think of.
I have completely cleaned the carb and washed out the tank. The fuel pump is nice and clean, but I did check it to make sure no leaves got into it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading over that again, I'm wondering if the RTV was in the hose in Arizona, but not plugging it completely. The gas flowing through whatever it was may have started it swelling until it cut off the gas flow. That would explain why it ran great and gradually got worse and worse. It got especially bad when it was hot. It might have been in the gas tank at some point before I got it.

Anyway, thanks for your attention and help. I will replace the hoses and move on to the next problem!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I think the dealer tried to rip you off. Things like that makes people not trust dealers. I am glad you have found some of the problem. Look at the fuel shutoff where it bolts to the bottom of the gas tank. I bet someone took it off at one time,didn't buy a new gasket and used the rtv sealant and that is what started your problem. Glad to see that you are making progress on this problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You are the 4th one to suggest that they were trying to rip me off. They think that since this old thing is "irreparable" that I will buy a new one. Well, my wife spent her life savings to buy it for me, so I'm not giving up that easy! And, as you mentioned, I won't trust EVER going to them again. I won't even buy parts there.

Here is a link to the pictures of the fuel lines. You can see what appears to be the remains of a larva wrapped in the leaves. So I'm sure it was a bug of some sort making a nest in the hose.

<edit> I removed the link to my website and added inline graphics. There is a better chance that they will still be around in a couple of years.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to a guy today who said that he's seen fuel lines with the black gunk in them. He said it comes from spraying carburetor cleaner in the hose. So they might have done that for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Not that I don't believe you, but this is one of the craziest stories I have ever heard. It's like 3 seperate issues that caused a related problem; RTV, leaves and cotton. After clearing out each one only to have it not start and find another, I would have been ready to blow it up. Your link with pics doesn't work by the way. I never understood dealers. Only explaination I can ever think...they are in a business that involves people that have a little extra money for a toy, so they want to bleed that extra money dry.

Hopefully you get it all straightened out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I almost don't believe it myself. Every time I find a problem, something else pops up. I've fixed a good half dozen things and still haven't tried to start it yet.

The cotton in the line was a wild guess on my part based on a piece about the size of a match head that I could see. It turned out to be the end of the RTV stuff.

I got all new gas lines today, along with a new fuel selector and some Sea Foam. I am hoping to try to start it tomorrow.

I am finding a lot of things that people said needed to be replaced that only needed cleaning...like to foot brake bleeder! The previous owner said the master cylinder needed to be replaced. A friend came over today and we played with it. He ran a piece of wire through the bleeder and got a pile of crud out of it. Then we bled the brakes and they work great!

By the time I get everything fixed, this will be like a new machine! At least that's the hope! ;-)

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The fuel sitting in those hoses for a long period of time caused the hose to break down on the inside(top picture). Bottom picture is fuel/sludge mixture such as water and trash. I have seen this happen before. The fuel sits in the hoses and causes the hose to lose its texture.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The fuel sitting in those hoses for a long period of time caused the hose to break down on the inside(top picture). Bottom picture is fuel/sludge mixture such as water and trash. I have seen this happen before. The fuel sits in the hoses and causes the hose to lose its texture.
Yep, it's caused by tree huggers, you know the ones that pass laws forcing us to burn gas with ethanol in it; the ethanol deteriorates all rubber products it come in contact with. My guess is you got hold of some E-85 flex fuel at some point, a sure way to destroy anything you run it in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, it's caused by tree huggers, you know the ones that pass laws forcing us to burn gas with ethanol in it; the ethanol deteriorates all rubber products it come in contact with. My guess is you got hold of some E-85 flex fuel at some point, a sure way to destroy anything you run it in.
Now, that makes a lot of sense. A friend told me to make sure to never us gas with ethanol in it because it will eat up the rubber and pit the aluminum. Chances are good that the gas I used in Arizona had ethanol in it. I never even considered that as being a problem.

One thing that I thought of (which is actually embarrassing) is that I used gas that had sat for about 6 months in the Arizona summer (120+ degrees). A friend in Arizona said something about gas only lasts about a month down there. So that, and the ethanol, was probably the whole problem all along.

I replaced all of the fuel lines and I did get it running today, but only as long as the choke was out. So I'm getting closer! It was great to hear it run, even if it wasn't like it should. It's a start!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I replaced all of the fuel lines and I did get it running today, but only as long as the choke was out. So I'm getting closer! It was great to hear it run, even if it wasn't like it should. It's a start!
Ok, here is what you will need to do, pull the carb and clean it out real good; the idle jet is clogged and is why you have to have the choke on for it to run. Be sure to take a tiny piece of wire and clear each and every tiny hole in the jets, you can cut a single strand from a wire brush and use it to clear the holes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, here is what you will need to do, pull the carb and clean it out real good; the idle jet is clogged and is why you have to have the choke on for it to run. Be sure to take a tiny piece of wire and clear each and every tiny hole in the jets, you can cut a single strand from a wire brush and use it to clear the holes.
Thanks. I will do that today. After much searching I finally found out that my pilot jet is the same as my idle jet! Augh! I searched for hours trying to find the idle jet!

Apparently I have a main jet, an air jet, and a pilot (idle) jet.
DIRT CHEAP ATV PARTS' 2001 Polaris ATV TRAIL BOSS (A01AA32AA) (RED/WHITE) Parts List

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Congrats on the progress. Sounds like your getting close.

I believe they sell some additive that will neutralize ethanol in case you have to use it. Sounds like we should all carry some of it just in case.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ethanol: I had filled up my Dodge Ramcharger with alcohol gas in Arizona and used up half a tank getting home! I bought it because it was the cheapest in town. Bad choice. Yeah, it's cheaper, but I got half the mileage out of it. Then I figured out that if I buy gas that's 5 cents higher and get 20 gallons, I paid an extra $1.00!! When I get 8 miles to the gallon and gas is up to $3.61 where I live, I can afford that extra $1. I just need to remember to watch out for ethanol at the tank. I have found that Cenex has good gas. Our company has a contract there, so I will be getting my gas there now!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks. I will do that today. After much searching I finally found out that my pilot jet is the same as my idle jet! Augh! I searched for hours trying to find the idle jet!

Apparently I have a main jet, an air jet, and a pilot (idle) jet.
DIRT CHEAP ATV PARTS' 2001 Polaris ATV TRAIL BOSS (A01AA32AA) (RED/WHITE) Parts List
LOL, sorry for the confusion on the terminology, I could have called it the slow jet and really messed ya up.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts