Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok hopefully I am in the right forum. If there are already posts on this I have not found them doing the search. As most of you know that have the sportsman 800 know that it likes fuel and a lot of it. Anyway I have always just strapped a 2 gallon gas can to the rack of my machine. I have found that this weekend while riding that the 2 gallons extra kinda can cut it short. So I have been thinking about how to carry extra fuel.

1st question is there a big advantage to going the route of a fuel pack vs. just buying another 2 gallon gas can and strapping that one on too? The one I have now has never leaked.

2nd question if you get a fuel pack how are you guys mounting them? I have looked at the Kolpin Polaris mounts but I don't like how they hang off the edge of the back of the machine. They would get torn off on the 50" trails I ride. I don't have a rear box or bag I just wear a tactical backpack and have a fender bag. I have a rear rack extender. Can the mounts be mounted to the rack extender. I want the fuel containers to be located within the confines of the rear rack extender or hanging off the back of the machine from the rack extender. I also have the Pure Polaris rear bumper so not sure if that is possible.

Also I have no desire to put the containers on the front rack only the back.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you get a 4 gallon fuel pack you can put 2 mounts on the rear rack and lay it flat across the rack. It will be totally secure.

Me on the other hand, I strap a 2 gallon gas can to the rear bumper between the tail lights. Works great never leaks. My only fear is having one of my knucklehead buddies slam into it...
I'll eventually get a fuel pack. They are much safer... just saving my pennies for a power steering kit.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There was a guy on here that bought this rack an did a review..said it was a nice rack..but the hardware was sorta cheap an he just went to hardware store an got better u bolts...not expensive either...this would hold gas cans no problem...it looks like a nice setup...
Champion ATV Drop-Basket Rack : Cabela's

I am even thinking on one for when working out in the woods an for trips to carry gas an gear....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Whatever route you choose I would go for the Rotopax as they are very robust and never leak. They are a very heavy "spin formed" plastic as opposed to blown molded. This give the tanks a very even thickness and is very strong. I run two one gallon rotopax's inside my front cargo and then I carry a walmart 1 gallon in my rear cargo box. My friends usually just bungie a 4 gallon rotopax and a koplin to their front rack. I personally like keeping the tanks out of harms way on top of the racks rather than having them hang off the ATV where they can get hit or be hit by a tree or rocks or another rider. Another trick I learned is that if you fill your ATV to the bottom of the fill neck in your tank you are missing out on over another 1/2 gallon a fuel. The neck sticks down into the tank about 3 or 4 inches so you can keep filling slowly right until it reaches the gas cap you can get an extra half-gallon (give or take) in your tank which is huge when riding somewhere remote. I always intend on riding almost immediatly when I do this so I don't have to worry about expansion of the gas. Also, if your extra tanks are in direct sunlight and its hot I always try to empty a bit of gas out shortly after I start riding due to expansion. Never had issue with the Rotopax or my standard can but they are inside my cargo boxes. Have seen my friends 4 gallon koplin swell in the sun and heat but my friends rotopax stay flat. I had this nifty milk crate set up on the back of my Rancher 420 (hung off the back of ATV and held two one gallon cans) and my friend slammed into me and shattered the crate, luckily it didn't break the gas cans and were 300 feet from the parking lot (lesson learned for me). Remember, your exhaust is right there for the gas to pour onto if you hang it off the back....not a problem if you have insurance.....lol.....just check your tanks often as any leaks can lead to a major problem. Koplin tanks have improved but you can definately tell a difference between the two brands.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Rotopax all the way, best fuel pack out there. I use this to hang off my rear bumper. Here is a thread that talks more about it. I'm not sure how different your 800 bumper is. http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/15052-fuel-pack.html

For me, I did not buy a front storage box for my xp just to put gas cans in it. Same for the rear storage box, seems like a waste of space and money. Although, I understand weight up front is better, I have yet to have a problem with the gas packs out back on the bumper.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm not rocking the 800, just the lowly Hawkeye 300. and I've always carried a 2 gallon can in my rear bag. well on my last ride the bag let go and the tank went for a ride. No leaking or anything, but I'm not waiting on my new hard trunk from Thor @ theatvsuperstore.com I've got to figure out what I'm going to do for a new spare tank. not that I've needed one yet. still have yet to go through more than 1/3 of a tank on a ride... I need to ride more.

but when I do get a new spare it will be the rotopax.

why aren't you willing to flat mount on the front?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I carry a pair of 2 gallon Rotopax's on top of the front cargo box on my XP, we carry just a regular 2 gallon gas can on my girlfriends Magnum 325. The Rotopax is def a better product than Kolpin.

·
Registered
512 Posts
UP here in the northwoods I use the poor mans setup , I have a three gallon OMC marine gas tank on the back rack { I also have six gallon tanks for extended runs } , you can pick them up in garage sales for $5 , can't beat the price and they're tuff !

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 850 XP LE with front and rear bumpers and rear cargo box. I carry a 5 gallon fuel can in a bracket/basket that is custom made for this can attached to my rear bumper. I don't have easy access to my storage compartment behind the seat as it sits on center. Even with the weight of 5 gallons it doesn't seem to bother or stress the rear bumper. I ride with 3 other guys and we all have the similar set up with no issues.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I will just have to do some measuring and checking to see if I can attach the mounts to the rear rack extender. I will look at Rotopax also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts