Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the wall picked up my 850 bout a month ago just put brand new rubber on it and I'm looking to do a fuel programmer I do a lot of business with rockery mountain and all they offer is a wiesco programmer for 200 just wondering if y'all have found something better

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I am a dealer for dobeck. The gen 3.5 EJK is $225 shipped, comes programmed for your machine, and is plug and play with no computer needed to set it up. The power commander v is a great tuner, but total overkill for a stock machine and double the money.

That said, you will see a 2-3 hp gain at the wheels with a dobeck tuner, and get more from a clutch kit than the tuner will give you. I run one on my 850, helped with the rich running below half throttle and plug fouling issues that stock machines have.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ so with the Dobeck and a Clutch Kit, you think you can sqeeze out about 7 Horse or so. including a filter upgrade?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Somewhere in there, but more likely 5 at the wheels, but that's quite a bit for a stock machine. Stock exhaust actually flows pretty well, getting more air into them helps a lot. Beyond that you'd need a ton of motor work to make any HP out of it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
id be happy with that. i just know they found a lot of lost power in the 1000 with some air box mods and the clutch.

I will be in touch with you as soon as my taxes roll in!

·
Registered
993 Posts
^ so with the Dobeck and a Clutch Kit, you think you can sqeeze out about 7 Horse or so. including a filter upgrade?
How does a clutch kit gain HP? That doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
993 Posts
So how are they adding a programmer and gaining 2-3hp then combining the programmer with the clutch kit and getting a total of 7hp?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
He is talking whp not bhp. So "to the wheels" 5hp from the clutch kit, power that is robbed with stock clutching. And 2 hp from the tuner.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ this. look a the numbers from the QSC Clutch kit for the Scrammy 1000, i believe they picked up 6 Horse with the clutch, efficiency is key.

·
Registered
993 Posts
^ this. look a the numbers from the QSC Clutch kit for the Scrammy 1000, i believe they picked up 6 Horse with the clutch, efficiency is key.
Ryan himself said in another thread that clutch kits do not add HP they only help deliver the power to the ground. That's why I'm asking. I myself have a clutch kit in my 850xp and the sleds I run so I know alittle about how things work. But to say you gain HP without doing engine mods doesn't make sense to me. I understand what you guys are saying bhp not rhp.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
where do you feel HP gains? hence how you "gain" HP.

anytime you can put down more to the wheels, to me that is a Gain.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You are not gaining any hp at the motor with clutching, just using what's there and transferring it to the wheels more efficiently. Thereby "gaining" hp at the wheels. The tuner actually gains 4-5 at the motor, which in turn ends up being 2-3 at the wheels after drive train loss. The xp chassis losses about 40% of the engine hp through the drive line just getting it to the wheels.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thanks guys I get what your saying

1 - 15 of 15 Posts