Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi , having trouble trying to install electric fuel pump, adjusted float level, I can see lots of oil around air cleaner, also bottom of engine, can see some oil coming out around the engine drain plug, looks like a weep hole for the water pump, there is some pressure there when running and sending out small drops of oil, the 2 small tubes in air cleaner have lots of blow by coming in. Also lost half power, not much for the get and go.
any ideas that I can look at?
thanks for your time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The seal runs about $50-60. I posted a link to a thread with pics of the replacement. I myself prefer to remove the case cover the the seal is pressed into and drive it out from the back side with a large socket instead of pullling it out as pictured in the thread, unfortunatley you'll have to replace the oil and have to pull the stator to remove the case and replace the case sealf which is a little more involved.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-atv-how-tos/28009-water-pump-seal-oil-seal-replacement-2006-sportsman-700-pics-inside.html#post179848

·
11,140 Posts
Uhh...exactly where/how are you trying to install an electric fuel pump on a 97 Sportsman and why would you want to do such a thing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The seal runs about $50-60. I posted a link to a thread with pics of the replacement. I myself prefer to remove the case cover the the seal is pressed into and drive it out from the back side with a large socket instead of pullling it out as pictured in the thread, unfortunatley you'll have to replace the oil and have to pull the stator to remove the case and replace the case sealf which is a little more involved.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-atv-how-tos/28009-water-pump-seal-oil-seal-replacement-2006-sportsman-700-pics-inside.html#post179848
Found the problem, the oil seal was pushed out 1/4" on one side , don't know why? will replace both seals.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well as I was riding along, it felt like I ran out of gas, switch to reserve ,it quit running, got it home and the pump had quit, installed a 12 v pump, it ran for maybe 15 mins then quit again, found junk in carb, started it up, then oil came out of weep hole in water pump hole. I have a new pump ordered, takes forever to get here.but, I am lost As to why the seal went sideways in the first place? I have cleaned the tank, had junk in it. Not sure what else to do to make sure it does not happen again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts