Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusty 2010 850 XP EPS has been a flawless work horse for 3.5 yrs and over 3000 miles. But its now developed an issue with what appears to be a fuel delivery problem.
If I limit my rides to 20 miles or less everything runs normal. As soon as I take a longer ride, over 30 miles or enough to get the fuel level about half a tank or less, the engine coughs, sputters and dies like its out of gas. Sometimes if I try hard it may restart but only runs for a few minutes before sputtering dead again. Once I get it home and fill the tank it starts fine and runs normal again, until the next time the tank level drops below half way. There is usually a cool down period between when it dies and when it runs normal again. I'm not sure if the getting hot has anything to do with the problem. Haven't yet experimented enough to isolate the getting hot vs the half full tank condition.

I've checked everything else and see no obvious issues. So I'm thinking something is going on with the fuel pump or fuel intake which of course is all buried inside the tank. Before I start ripping the whole thing apart to get at the fuel pump, just wanted to check if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas, suggestions?
I've always done all my own maint, but replacing this fuel pump looks like a PITA, has anyone replace an XP fuel pump on their own?

thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've read on here someone with the same issue you are having.I think one said his fuel guage was gas logged, The rubber coating had wore off the foam. Someone may chime in. Have you tried using the search link to find other issues? Going from memory here :ponder:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
a shot in the dark....but maybe you are getting vapor lock on the longer rides.....engine heat on fuel....you can try to insulate fuel lines and add some sheet insulationy to tank bottom since its right between Radiator and engine...you mentioned a cool down period ..common for vapor lock...

worth a shot...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just to close the loop here, for future ref. I did get around to replacing my fuel pump assembly, and that fixed this issue.
I did get to do some more testing between when I wrote this orig question and when I got around to fixing it. In my case the defect seemed to be triggered by a combination of lower fuel level and engine heat. If I kept my tank topped off, I never had the problem no matter how hot it got, likewise if I kept my rides short I never had the problem no matter how low the fuel level was. But once the tank was under half full and the ride was long enough to get the engine to its hotest, then the fuel pump would fail and it would cough, sputter and die from lack of fuel.

Based on the older thread here, I first bought one of the Carter pumps, hoping I could replace just the pump itself. But when I got the existing pump assembly out of the tank, my 2010 pump was quite different than the Carter. For 09/10 models Polaris does sell a replacement pump assembly, without having to buy the whole tank like some years. So I gave in and bought the factory replacement for about $285, which includes the whole pre-assembled pump, controller, intake filter, float and cap/gasket.
The replacement was time consuming since you have to remove everything from the top, front and both sides to get access to the tank. I slide the tank out partially, just enough to get clearance to lift the pump assembly out the top of the tank. Getting the fuel line disconnected at the tank end was a bit awkward since the quick connect release was facing down, with access limited by the tank body. I actually damaged that quick release trying to pry it off and bought a replacement fuel line. Otherwise it wasn't a difficult DIY job.
While I had it all apart, I also added some heat reflecting foil on the engine side of the tank, as well as wrapping the fuel line.
I'm still not sure what it was in the pump that deteriorated over time to cause this issue. The first 3.5 years of frequent long rides were flawless. There was nothing obvious externally when I took the old assembly out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It sure is nice to see that you updated with an answer to what your problem was. I too had a fuel pump issue on a 2006 500x2 about a year ago, it too would run until it became hot and then that was it until it cooled again. It so happens on the efi 500's a fuel pump out of a 2000 Ford Taurus is the exact same pump, for about 1/10th of what Polaris wants. A local Polaris dealer tech gave me that little nugget of knowledge. Saved me a LOT of money!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts