Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ! just bought a Sportsman 570 Touring 560 mi . Had it 4 days before fuel pump gave out , now yes I know it’s used but still think this is a crappy way to start out my ATV owning experience ,this is my first one . Anyways it left me stranded luckily not too far from my house had to be towed a short distance . Tried to get it going but it would not fire . In the hours before it crapped out I noticed the loud fuel pump whine was gone and thought that was wierd then BAM! Stranded . This is what led me to believe my fuel pump may have gone out . Pulled plastic frame apart exposed gas tank took pump out and saw that the regulator was just dangling . I set the regulator in place reinserted pump and gave it a whirl... fired right up! Then I tapped the throttle BAM! Died out . After reading several threads came to the conclusion that the pump probably needs replacing I have ordered one from Amazon will let you guys know what happens. Oh and BTW the pump that was in the assembly wasn’t OEM so this problem is persistent! Will also be adding a heat shield as advised by other members .

·
Premium Member
10,370 Posts
Yeah man that sucks!!! Let us know how it goes!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys ! just bought a Sportsman 570 Touring 560 mi . Had it 4 days before fuel pump gave out , now yes I know it’s used but still think this is a crappy way to start out my ATV owning experience ,this is my first one . Anyways it left me stranded luckily not too far from my house had to be towed a short distance . Tried to get it going but it would not fire . In the hours before it crapped out I noticed the loud fuel pump whine was gone and thought that was wierd then BAM! Stranded . This is what led me to believe my fuel pump may have gone out . Pulled plastic frame apart exposed gas tank took pump out and saw that the regulator was just dangling . I set the regulator in place reinserted pump and gave it a whirl... fired right up! Then I tapped the throttle BAM! Died out . After reading several threads came to the conclusion that the pump probably needs replacing I have ordered one from Amazon will let you guys know what happens. Oh and BTW the pump that was in the assembly wasn’t OEM so this problem is persistent! Will also be adding a heat shield as advised by other members .
Hey, bought my 2015 sportsman brand new and shortly after warranty ran out machine quit running but you could still hear fuel pump operating.apparently not adequate pressure. Dealers overcharge by selling pump and fuel tank as one for about $400.couple months later the new pump dies, have replaced pump another two times and now it's time to replace it again. Been using after market pumps for about 20 bucks.what discouraging is hey I'm 66 years old and hardly use it. My fault for buying a Polaris. Where can I get a decent pump and what is the solution . Thanx

·
Premium Member
10,370 Posts
$20 fuel pumps and youre on your 3rd one you say, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give quantum pumps a whirl!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check
$20 fuel pumps and youre on your 3rd one you say, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give qua

Checked my records and that was the first aftermarket I purchased for $80 and it lasted as long as the one I purchased for $16?there must be another underlying issue here. Maybe I should have bought a Honda?do you know of anyone that has this figured out. And thank you for your response

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check my records and that was the first aftermarket pump I purchased for $80 and it lasted as long as the &16 pump .anyone has this figured out . Thanx

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Quantum pump, non-ethanol fuel and keep the pump submerged in fuel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quantum pump, non-ethanol fuel and keep the pump submerged in fuel
Thanks I will try your suggestion. Ironically the first time I took it to dealer the technician told me to use 87 octane and when stock pump failed again I went to quantum pump and that one failed along with an inexpensive pump or maybe two. Damn I can change a fuel pump blindfolded. Must be the gas then?!

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Polaris recommends in the owners manual; 87 octane non-oxygenated (no alcohol) or 89 octane oxygenated (no more than 10% ethanol) and most manufacturers state no methanol blends at any percentage, but Polaris has not published that distinction. I use 91 octane as it is the only non-ethanol grade offered in my community.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Polaris recommends in the owners manual; 87 octane non-oxygenated (no alcohol) or 89 octane oxygenated (no more than 10% ethanol) and most manufacturers state no methanol blends at any percentage, but Polaris has not published that distinction. I use 91 octane as it is the only non-ethanol grade offered in my community.
Thank you my friend, I willl definitely switch to non ethanol and I hope that does the trick

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Thanks I will try your suggestion. Ironically the first time I took it to dealer the technician told me to use 87 octane and when stock pump failed again I went to quantum pump and that one failed along with an inexpensive pump or maybe two. Damn I can change a fuel pump blindfolded. Must be the gas then?!
I would also recommend getting the aluminum heat shield Polaris added to the 2017 570's, it helps keep the exhaust from heating up the fuel.
The part# is 5263226 for the shield.
I added it to my 2014 570 and still have the original fuel pump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for your advice . I will try the shield remedy, I believe I am changing the pump for the fifth time.and I only use the machine accassionly around the house but it does idle a lot when I'm fixing fences hence the possible heat issue. U would think there would be a recall concern, why would I buy another Polaris?is it a solid aluminum shield

·
Registered
135 Posts
Stamped aluminum, and it, along with the extra lower right side cladding really helps control heat in the summer.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
You should not let the engine for long periods (over 3 minutes) - it is hard on the cam, valve train and oil - for a gasoline engine that idles for 15 minutes an hour the oil change interval should be decreased by 1/2 unless you are using diesel grade oil, then decrease by 1/3 - yeah, hot fuel will kill a pump too.

·
11,162 Posts
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change the regulator while you've got it apart. Some of the pump kits include it in the package.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I do let the machine idle when working,and I'm beginning to think that pump failures are due to excess heat? And ethanol fuel? It's been a real pain in the %#<~ for myself , as I feel as if I should buy pumps by the case. And it does not matter if I get a $20 pump and install it myself or pay the dealer $400. Just a heads up for anyone else with this issue, the dealer replaces the entire tank with the pump which is expensive and very unfair to the owner. Thanx for your response

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Dealer is uninformed or just taking advantage - pump kit is part # 2207670 @ $395 - kit includes pump, gasket, retainer nut and instructions - tank w/pump is part # 2521333 @ $745 - I presume the pump kit includes the regulator as it is not offered as a separate part - same for the fuel sending unit, not a separate part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can say for a fact that I paid the dealer around $400 for a pump which for some bizarre reason also came with an entire tank . Short time later out of curiosity called another dealer and it was the same price.. therefore started buying and installing myself aftermarket pumps.this is most definitely a recall issue and not something the consumer should have to resolve on their own .that is if Polaris wants to sell atv,s in the future. And it's great to have this forum to help out

1 - 20 of 30 Posts