Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have 2001 sportsman 500 HO sat for years not getting any gas through the fuel pump is there a test I can perform to see if it is any good? Do I need to prime it since I drained all the old fuel out of the tank and put a gallon of new back in. Should i add more gas is a gallon enough?? I have moved the knob to reserve and run no differance.. Thx for any help Didn't mean to ramble just wanted to say what I have try'd

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
shouldn't need to prime it. easiest way to test it is to pull the impulse tube off and take a clear tube and suck and blow on it, should pump fuel. check all hoses to and from the carb, make sure nothing is cracked or kinked.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Take the carb off and clean it. Needle seat is stuck. Therefore not allowing the carb to create a vacum to pull the fuel to the carb.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
For the most part the fuel pump rarely gives problems. The fuel pump operates off of vacum created by the engine and carb. Have you taken the carb off and cleaned it? Also inspect the diaphram in the top of the carb for dry rot and tears. Make sure the carb vent tubes are not pinched and free of obstructions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts