Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those with carb'd machines,

How often to you shutoff the fuel valve? After every ride? When you know its going to sit for a couple days? Weeks? Months? Never shut it off? When trailering? When the brother in law wants to ride it?

Just curious.....

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have very seldom shut mine off. But I use my quad for plowing snow and it usually doesn't spend much time just sitting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I had bikes with the manual fuel valve I shut it off at the end of a days riding and would leave it off till next time I road. You can end up with a flooded machine if you leave it open

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I rode carburated machines I would turn the gas off if it was going to sit for an hour or more.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I used to shut my dirt bike valves off when i would shut it off.

But on my 400 i never shut it off once. Its in too awkward of position.

·
Registered
575 Posts
On my gf's magnum, everytime the key gets shutoff, until I fix the leaking carburetor drain anyway.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Whenever its shut off, the needle and seat in the carb will last a lot longer and you wont have a leaky carb like other people.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Whenever its shut off, the needle and seat in the carb will last a lot longer and you wont have a leaky carb like other people.
This........

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
What is purpose of shutting off fuel supply?

1) I keep forgetting to do this on my two sporty 500s. (doesn't seem to matter thusfar!) 2) what's the purpose? If it is to keep carb in better shape, wouldn't we also need to clear whats in the carb by starting engine after fuel shutoff to clear out whats in the 'pipeline'? Just trying to get educated on this mystery topic... :hmmm:

·
Registered
113 Posts
1) I keep forgetting to do this on my two sporty 500s. (doesn't seem to matter thusfar!) 2) what's the purpose? If it is to keep carb in better shape, wouldn't we also need to clear whats in the carb by starting engine after fuel shutoff to clear out whats in the 'pipeline'? Just trying to get educated on this mystery topic... :hmmm:
That was my thought too. Doesn't really do anything to turn it off if you don't 'clear it out' like you said.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I shut it off while trailering, or if It's stood up for what ever reason. I need to rebuild the carb anyway as the float got stuck the last time I unloaded it from trailering and the machine is 7 years old and I'm certain it's never had the carb cleaned. Seafoam only goes so far.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Needle and seat wear out from vibration and then start to leak. I only turned mine off when they started to leak. Not turning off the gas will not wear them out any faster. That being said, I could not even find the valve on my 08 until I really looked for it. If it was meant to be used all the time it would be more accessible.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I only turn mine off if I'm doing maintenance on the gas line or carb. Otherwise I just leave it on. Never had a problem with my 02. Then again I keep all of my machines in the garage.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a 13 500 Ho and never shut it off and don't plan to unless servicing the fuel system in some way.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts