Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that winter is here, my bike will not see as much as action. It sits outside under a canopy, covered with a weather-resistent cover so its reasonably shielded from the elements. Temps go down into the upper teens. Should I be concerned with fuel stabilizer?

If so, what do you guys recommend?

Scott

·
Registered
231 Posts
I run stabil in every tank of gas for my small engines... Today's fuels don't have the lubrication they used to and stabil adds that and keeps fuel systems clean... On top of that I never know when something could sit for a month or more and don't want gas going bad in the system... Maybe a little excessive but it don't cost much

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run stabil in every tank of gas for my small engines... Today's fuels don't have the lubrication they used to and stabil adds that and keeps fuel systems clean... On top of that I never know when something could sit for a month or more and don't want gas going bad in the system... Maybe a little excessive but it don't cost much
Do you think Polaris' additive would do about the same thing?
https://atv.polaris.com/en-us/shop/maintenance/lubricants/2881416/

·
Registered
231 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure I haven't read much about it.. I know Polaris puts a lot effort into its fluids and I lubricants but I haven't read about their stabilizer.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I use Sta-Bil in everything too, good stuff

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Stabilizer will not prevent phase separation of alcohol blended fuels - you need to use a product like Ethanol Equalizer to keep the alcohol from combining with water and dropping out of the gas. Also, oil will help stabilize gas in the short term. I use 2 stroke gas (mixed about 32:1) in my long term stored engines and use ethanol free VP racing SEF (Small Engine Fuel) in my seasonal engines. SEF has a 2 year shelf life in a closed container and about a 1 year shelf life in a vented container. Without resorting to Sta-Bil, I just park and go using VP Racing SEF. For extra protection use SEF 40:1 two stroke fuel (same price around here) - the oil in the fuel coats the inside of the tank, carb, exhaust and other parts preventing corrosion during storage.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
i shut them off in fall and start them in spring,
the money i save with not buying snake oil gives my a lot of miles driving next year.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used to use Sta-Bil but after a couple times of cleaning out the carb bowls of red death, now I just top off the tanks with premium non oxy fuel and let them sit, then the next time I use them I give them a little shot of Seafoam and I never have a problem. Been doing that now in all my stuff for 8 years and not 1 problem.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
What's the carb bowls of red death mean? Been using Sta-Bil for 20+ years & never heard of that or seen it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm in the landscaping business, I've never used additives just 50:1 2 stroke oil for my equipment that requires it and I keep the tanks full and out of the sun year-to-year. I also use strictly Non-Ethanol Fuel in all my single cylinder equipment. I haven't had one mishaps in the 3 years I've been doing this. I also use Non Ethanol in my ATV and Generators.

BTW the 2 stroke oil I use is Stihl Synthetic Blend and it has additives already, but my mowers and ATV is strictly non ethanol. IMO Non Ethanol is a very stable fuel fuel which can be stored for 4-5 months with no problems.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Everybody seems to have their way and any way that works is the right way - what works for one or in one part of the country may or may not work in all parts due to differences in climate, gas formulation and storage methods - the only wrong way is the one that don't work

·
Registered
455 Posts
Finding non-ethanol fuel would be a much better option than sta-bil imho, I used to use sta-bil religiously but still had problems... ethanol blend fuel is just a big lose-lose.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everybody seems to have their way and any way that works is the right way - what works for one or in one part of the country may or may not work in all parts due to differences in climate, gas formulation and storage methods - the only wrong way is the one that don't work
This is a very good point. There are many variables involved including weather, some vs. complete inactivity, gas formulation in different parts of the country.

Since I posed the original question, my variables are: Northern Arizona climate (lows into the upper teens for a couple of months, almost zero use, non-ethanol gas). Everyone tells me I should use SOMETHING so I was wondering what the consensus on here was. It seems to be Sta-Bil.

I think I'll check some of the older guys up here and report back. It might be interesting to get their takes on this.

Scott

·
Registered
123 Posts
For winter storage I use a little stabilizer. If storing for the winter make sure the tank is completely full to prevent condensation. If I use my machine for ice fishing(All winter) I will put about 1 1/2 ounces of Isoproplyl Alcohol in my 5 gal jerry can just in case I get snow in the gas. I do the same for the snow machine (1972 Sno-Jet). Using mixed gas wont hurt the engine , but might foul the plug. Putting a little oil in the cylinder and turning it over will lube up the walls and piston and rings. The machine will smoke a little until it is burned out.
But, why park the machine? Just dress accordingly and go!
Here it gets -35C/-31F regularly as the high, before windchill, Handle bar warmers and thumb warmer and away you go!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have heard that even premium pump gas and alcohol free gas contains waste products BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene) and that these chemicals the gas companies add to our fuel (to get rid of it) contains carcinogens and destroys fuel lines and diaphrams. Ethanol gets blamed for it, however, and I assume that's from gas company lobbyists. I havn't read that much into it, and am certainly not an expert. I only mention it because if you are serious about your gasoline you might want to investigate the effect btex has on your equipment and try to source fuel that is free of it, depending on your findings. I could also be wrong, again I bring it up only to point you in the direction of possible further study into your best fuel option for small gas powered equipment.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,004 Posts
i shut them off in fall and start them in spring,
the money i save with not buying snake oil gives my a lot of miles driving next year.
Yep, right there with you. I put small tools (lawn mower, generator etc.) in the shed every fall with whatever gas still remains in them, top them off in the spring, pull the starter rope and go. Zero additives, and all gas here in Colorado is 10% ethanol blended.

·
9,833 Posts
Uh, Bob, unless they've changed something recently we buy a barrel of non-alcohol (IIRC 91 octane) fuel every year in Gunnison when we come out. Best stuff I've ever used and gets great mpg!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Non ethanol in all my small engines, stabil and top it off. I do this year round, not just in the winter. Zero issues for many years now. Same thing for my boats. The only carb problem I have had is an a surface drive that I put the ethanol fuel in one one of my hunting trips (non ethanol was not convenient at the time) and forgot about it and let it sit for about four months. Wouldn’t run at all hardly. Had to keep choke pulled halfway out. Good cleaning took care of it but I had to use some wire tip cleaners to clean the jets. It was bad enough where it was hard to push the cleaners through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,004 Posts
My bad. Perhaps I should have been slightly more clear. There are few stations in Colorado where you can still buy non-ethanol blended fuel. They are few and far between, and not worth the time or effort to try to find. Today's engines are built to run up to 10% ethanol fuel in them. The entire fuel system is made to run it through with no side effects. If the bump to 15% ever goes through, then there will be problems. I've run non-ethanol fuel in the atv's when we are up in Taylor Park since that's what they sell at the Trading Post, and it makes absolutely no difference in how they perform. It just smells better out the back end. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts