Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, A buddy and I have taken the fuel pump out of the tank verified that the float floats and the sending unit sends. Now, when we put it all back together and hook everything back up the tank reads a little above half still. We took the pump out and set it in a bucket of gas and the float would float, hooked the wires back up and the gauge reads the signal. We would pull up on the float and it will read a full tank but sinks back down. Right now, we have the tank set back on the quad and hooked up but is reading one notch above half. The float is not hitting anything inside the tank. What would cause the float to not float?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ok, A buddy and I have taken the fuel pump out of the tank verified that the float floats and the sending unit sends. Now, when we put it all back together and hook everything back up the tank reads a little above half still. We took the pump out and set it in a bucket of gas and the float would float, hooked the wires back up and the gauge reads the signal. We would pull up on the float and it will read a full tank but sinks back down. Right now, we have the tank set back on the quad and hooked up but is reading one notch above half. The float is not hitting anything inside the tank. What would cause the float to not float?
Is the pivot point moving freely or does it seem to catch? Also check the two little contacts that move when the float moves up and down. One of them may be bent in such a way that it doesn't make contact the entire time. Also make sure the long one doesn't contact the short side anywhere.

Your float may float by itself but might be just full enough with gas to sink to the half-tank point. check out post #10 in this thread for replacement floats.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...6-05-800-efi-cheap-fuel-pump-replacement.html

Once the contacts are good to go, hook up an ohm meter to the two wires on the little circuit card where the float wire contacts move up and down. Move the float wire up and down. Empty should read about 6 ohms and full should read 90 or a little less. In between should rise in increments. If you get to a point where the ohms stay the same as you move the float and the float isn't all the way to the top, then the little circuit card is bad. I know of no replacement for it but I haven't really looked either.

Good luck,
Stew

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check into that.

Thanks man!!!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
x2 on checking the ohms. You can even hook the meter up to the quick connect plug so you don't have to remove the sender again. There is a post here where somebody bought a sender from autozone and modded it. I think I might have a link for it if it turns out to be bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's something to do with the float. I can pull it up with a hanger through the gas cap opening and it will read full but when I let it go it drops down a little bit. Is that from the float rod being bent?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think it's something to do with the float. I can pull it up with a hanger through the gas cap opening and it will read full but when I let it go it drops down a little bit. Is that from the float rod being bent?
I gotta ask, is the gas tank truly full? If it is, I would bend the wire down a bit until the float being at the top on its own equals the contacts sending a "full" signal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gotta ask, is the gas tank truly full? If it is, I would bend the wire down a bit until the float being at the top on its own equals the contacts sending a "full" signal.
Haha, oh yea it's full. That's kind of what I was thinking. As far as anyone messing with it in the tank, it's possible.

My ex-wife and I went through our divorce last year and she had the quad at the time. She destroyed the winch, my speedo, odo, and fuel gauge weren't working when I got it back, and my mossy oak camo was faded purple. :saevil: I've replaced the winch, narrowed down the speedo and odo to hopefully the speed sensor, I'm going to just repaint the fenders, now I just have to figure what is wrong with the fuel gauge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts