Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what grade fuel you use in your machine? My dealer told me to use 91 octane as it does not contain any ethanol. Anyone run into any ethanol related issues using 87 or 89 octane?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I run 87 with no problem but I have been meaning to post this for some time now and keep forgetting. So I am glad you posted it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run 87 and use Stabil to stabilize and offset the ethanol. Ethanol sucks in my opinion.
I thought I read somewhere on this forum where someone had issues running higher octane fuel....

·
Registered
829 Posts
I know that most will disagree with me, but I have always used the 92 or 93 octane fuel. The manual only calls for 89 on my new Touring, but I have had outstanding reliability using the good stuff and plan on continuing to do so. The cost difference is minimal considering how much fuel I really use.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hmmm...I need to look at my manual. I thought it recommended 87. If it's 89...I'll switch!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Our ATV`s will run good on 87 - 91 octane gas, i use 87 octane gas, but it would be interesting to see if there would be a mileage difference between 87 - 91 octane gas.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I run 91 octane becuase my carbed 06 refused to run on the 89. I just never switched back with the efi sportsman. EFI is more forgiving for this type of stuff so I doubt it really matters.

Also had to switch to 91 in my pre multiport efi vehicles to get mileage

·
Registered
159 Posts
On some machines it might matter and i would run whatever your manual says to run. I also use a little seafoam in my machine from time to time to clear out anything that might be harmful. Just make sure that you get the measurements correct when diluting it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ditto on the Seafoam!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody. Manual says 87 or higher so I guess I will go with 87 and a little Yamalube additive to keep it clean (the dealer threw it in when I purchased).

Love the Seafoam too! Have used it on the boat and lawnmower for years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Avoid ethanol in your gas if your going to leave it sit for a while because ethanol turns to snot pretty quickly. Problem with this strategy is I never know when I NOT going to ride for a while until after the fact.
Premium doesn't generaly have ethanol in it and holds up much better. I just started using premium because it's easy and helps me avoid cleaning snot out of the carb.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I know that most will disagree with me, but I have always used the 92 or 93 octane fuel. The manual only calls for 89 on my new Touring, but I have had outstanding reliability using the good stuff and plan on continuing to do so. The cost difference is minimal considering how much fuel I really use.
I AGREE!!!

I also run STARTRON or SEAFOAM religiously.

CW

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have had a lot of experience with ethenol in my boat motor(all bad). this stuff is junk!! go to trailer boats magizine and look for an article titled (maritime moonshine). you will get educated on this junk! 87-89-91 oct, all contane ethenol, it has nothing to do with octane rating. ask around your area for non-ethenol gas, it is still available. if you find it i defenitly recamend you use it! cost a little more butt worth it. some stores sell it as recreational fuel. regular sta-bil does nothing for ethenol, make sure to get sta-bil marine formula-ethenol treatment. remember ethenol is an alcohol product. it is a solvent,eats up rubber fuel lines, seals etc: please read the article! it tells the truth! briggs n stratton makes an ethenol tester for under 10$. get one, then you know if the gas station telling the truth about the e-rating. as for which oct to use, use 87oct, then add lucas octane booster(good stuff). save money & get the power too! i hope my misfortunes will be your gain. READ THE ARTICLE! good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i have had a lot of experience with ethenol in my boat motor(all bad). this stuff is junk!! go to trailer boats magizine and look for an article titled (maritime moonshine). you will get educated on this junk! 87-89-91 oct, all contane ethenol, it has nothing to do with octane rating. ask around your area for non-ethenol gas, it is still available. if you find it i defenitly recamend you use it! cost a little more butt worth it. some stores sell it as recreational fuel. regular sta-bil does nothing for ethenol, make sure to get sta-bil marine formula-ethenol treatment. remember ethenol is an alcohol product. it is a solvent,eats up rubber fuel lines, seals etc: please read the article! it tells the truth! briggs n stratton makes an ethenol tester for under 10$. get one, then you know if the gas station telling the truth about the e-rating. as for which oct to use, use 87oct, then add lucas octane booster(good stuff). save money & get the power too! i hope my misfortunes will be your gain. READ THE ARTICLE! good luck.
That may depend on the reseller.
For instance, here in Canada, someone wrote to our largest gas company asking them and this is the response that they got:
Thank you for contacting Petro-Canada Customer Service online.

Ethanol is only present in Petro-Canada Regular Clean 87 Octane (10%) and Plus Clean 89 Octane (5%). Petro-Canada SuperClean 91 Octane gasoline does not contain any Ethanol.
Ethanol - Petro Canada Responds - OFN Community Home
So while ethanol may not be related to octane, that doesnt mean that some companies wont use it as justification for different charges based on octane as well.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
Fuel

Out of my 2010 550 manual:
Use either leaded or unleaded gasoline
with a minimum pump octane number of
87=(R+ M/2) octane. Do not use fuel
with ethanol content greater than 10%,
such as E-85 fuel.

I always add Startron to my fuel can when I fill it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
good point, as i can not comment on the canadian fuel regulations or laws etc: here in tennessee law requires sellers to post on the pumps if it contains ethanol. the sticker states: ALL grades contain up to 10% ethanol. all that said my, my purpose for this post is to make you'all aware of the problems that ethanol can cause. learn all you can about it. it'l pay off for you in the future. good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts