Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I'm going to put a full set of BALL BEARING in my Sportsman XP 1000 so no more grease and will last forever truly a Dream Come True.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Where are those available? Just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
168 Posts
bearings in that application will not last forever...and will require maintenance.

Not worth the expense for nothing gained.....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bearings in that application will not last forever...and will require maintenance.

Not worth the expense for nothing gained.....
Trust me the way I do it will last forever. If I told you what I was doing then you would say something like that's total over kill but I want it truly last forever not need to have to grease it every time I ride was getting crazy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are those available? Just out of curiosity.
Still working on it, getting all the Ball BEARINGS it has 2 different sizes but it cost less than a set of the DK OFFROAD or GP BUSHING and truly last forever and will be much smoother and no more greasing is so AWESOME.

·
10,665 Posts
Yes I'm going to put a full set of BALL BEARING in my Sportsman XP 1000 so no more grease and will last forever truly a Dream Come True.
I think you may be overstating it flyboy but make sure you document the mod and lots of pictures. You got me curious as to how you're doing it and how it works out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you may be overstating it flyboy but make sure you document the mod and lots of pictures. You got me curious as to how you're doing it and how it works out.
Yes I will keep up with my progress and make a video on my YouTube channel Crazyflyboy30 here's the only thing I have right now is a picture of the Ball BEARINGS that I'm going to use the small one is for everything but the rear bottom of the wheel bearing carrier the big one is for
20200418_120916.jpg
that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and the advantage is...?
It's going to save me a fortune in just grease alone at $15 a tube and I'm on my 4th one in 560 miles and the pain in the ass of greasing it every time I ride and the bushings are still wearing out fast. I can't tell you how much this is going to make me feel not having to grease it again ,not worry about it wearing out and going to be alot tighter and smoother than the sloppy bushings.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Subscribing to see you you do this. Looks interesting and sounds like a great idea I would still want them to be greasable, so if I did this I would remove all the bearing seals except the outermost seal so I could still grease them with the zirc. They should require much less frequent greasing than the bushings.

Mounting suspension completely solid puts extra stress on the entire machine, due to having zero "give". But it might be worth the trade off.

Keep us up to date :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Subscribing to see you you do this. Looks interesting and sounds like a great idea I would still want them to be greasable, so if I did this I would remove all the bearing seals except the outermost seal so I could still grease them with the zirc. They should require much less frequent greasing than the bushings.

Mounting suspension completely solid puts extra stress on the entire machine, due to having zero "give". But it might be worth the trade off.

Keep us up to date :)
Will I have start and everything is mostly to plan but not going to be able to grease them because of the final amount of BALL BEARINGS was 7 so that put the center bearing covering the hole the the grease fitting so I didn't take the time to cut bearing so grease could go between or I could have put a custom made spacer in the center to let the grease flow threw the BEARINGS would have been probable the best choice. Here's some pictures of it so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will I have start and everything is mostly to plan but not going to be able to grease them because of the final amount of BALL BEARINGS was 7 so that put the center bearing covering the hole the the grease fitting so I didn't take the time to cut bearing so grease could go between or I could have put a custom made spacer in the center to let the grease flow threw the BEARINGS would have been probable the best choice. Here's some pictures of it so far.
20200421_111206.jpg

·
10,665 Posts
A little constructive criticism from the cheering section... I think you're OVER engineering it. Just enough bearing width to approximately equal the area covered by the original bushings (6 at the most and I think 2 on each side would be fine) is plenty enough. That way the center where the grease zirk is would still be open.
Just my $.02 :unsure:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little constructive criticism from the cheering section... I think you're OVER engineering it. Just enough bearing width to approximately equal the area covered by the original bushings (6 at the most and I think 2 on each side would be fine) is plenty enough. That way the center where the grease zirk is would still be open.
Yes you are right it's easier to just fill it full
Yes you are right but it's easier to just fill it full then to make spacer but I have one other way to get grease to flow through the BEARINGS is to just to make a flat spot on top of the were the grease fitting is then a small grove of side of the BEARINGS so the grease will go into the BEARINGS . I'm going to have 2 seals so that's one thing that's going to help it and I have done some testing with sealing the OEM Bushing and it didn't work right it was sealed so good it wouldn't grease.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is a great idea. Keep us updated.

Back in the day I had an 87 Yamaha Warrior. I put that thing through hell. It ran through the mud, coal dust, dirt, and grime. The front A arms never seen a drop of grease. When it was retired many years later the front end was as tight as the day it was purchased. I put new bolts, bushings and spacers in my Polaris. It had slop in the front end after 10 miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks and yes I will almost got right front done so can see how it works and it's going to take me awhile to do the hole thing because I work at in my shop at home so I have more work than I can do and jobs waiting on me so I can't play with too much right now. LOL And I remember the Yamaha Warrior has my neighbor that was a girl had one and at the time I had a 230 Quadsport.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the right front all done it works smoothly with no play at all and have done some test ride and it rides good and going to beat the crap out of it to see if there any problem with it. Can't wait to get the hole thing done specially the back because something is make some noise back there .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts