Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody thought about adding a quick oil drain valve on the 1000 tranny? I have a hard time not making a mess with the drain position on the back of the tranny rather than on the bottom. I don't want to drop the skid just to change tranny oil. Been looking at these drain valves that allow the attachment of a drain hose, have a safety lock and a spring loaded lever for quick and easy no-mess draining. The area of the plug is protected so accidental opening or breakage shouldn't be an issue.
Anyone see any potential problem I'm overlooking?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/F108N-16mm-X-1-5-FUMOTO-Engine-Oil-Drain-Valve-Plus-FREE-Cover-and-Locking-Clip/391765839438?hash=item5b37104e4e:g:9YUAAOSw9M5a7QOA:sc:USPSFirstClass!40962!US!-1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i like having a magnetic drain plug, catches alot of metal sludge.

·
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I posted the idea up for comments. Hadn't thought about the magnet.
Are you dropping the skid to change Dan?
I've changed this one twice and managed to make a mess both times. I may see if I can come up with another idea for diverting the oil without dropping the skid. I just don't want to go to all that trouble if I don't have to. The changing part is easy. Catching the oil without a mess with the skid on... not so easy. :grin

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That's why I posted the idea up for comments. Hadn't thought about the magnet.
Are you dropping the skid to change Dan?
I've changed this one twice and managed to make a mess both times. I may see if I can come up with another idea for diverting the oil without dropping the skid. I just don't want to go to all that trouble if I don't have to. The changing part is easy. Catching the oil without a mess with the skid on... not so easy. :grin
i make a mess also, it drips from everywhere too and on the scrambler the pan is very tight to frame so always has mud - dirt plus oil to try and clean up.
Last spring i said thats it i'm taking pan off from now on , luckily for me i work in a warehouse and always have plenty of cardboard sheets to place under atv.
I think its only gonna be a handfull of bolts to remove pan anyway. not sure,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anybody thought about adding a quick oil drain valve on the 1000 tranny? I have a hard time not making a mess with the drain position on the back of the tranny rather than on the bottom. I don't want to drop the skid just to change tranny oil. Been looking at these drain valves that allow the attachment of a drain hose, have a safety lock and a spring loaded lever for quick and easy no-mess draining. The area of the plug is protected so accidental opening or breakage shouldn't be an issue.
Anyone see any potential problem I'm overlooking?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/F108N-16mm-X-1-5-FUMOTO-Engine-Oil-Drain-Valve-Plus-FREE-Cover-and-Locking-Clip/391765839438?hash=item5b37104e4e:g:9YUAAOSw9M5a7QOA:sc:USPSFirstClass!40962!US!-1
im thinking about doing this too, shouldnt have metal sludge or shavings to worry about after 2 oil changes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I might do the same on mine...sure would make it easier, and I could put a hose on the barb and use my vacuum oil tank to pull it out...zero mess! I do this on my dragster and have one on it.....never gave it a thought on my quad....

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I just take the skid plate off the bottom of my 850. 7 bolts in no time at all with a battery powered ratchet. I just found it easier than trying to clean up the mess. Also gives me an opportunity to clean up the bottom side and the skid plate. Amazing what accumulates there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts