Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Your driving a offroad ATV on the highways of portugal?....WTF!!!!!
He has it set up for street use (tires ect.) It's the equivilent of a dual sport motorcycle.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'll post back here as soon as I get the decision from the dealer. Of course, they can´t decide anything on warranty issues, they'll just do what import dealer (polaris representative, not in Portugal) tells them to.
Talking about new 850 engine + starter, what money we are talking about??
Thanks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This morning I delivered to the dealer all paperwork that proves warranty services. The owner was confident, says he sees no reason to have any problems respecting warranty period contracted by EU laws. But, he said, it's out of his hands now, as he's received order to transport the bike to main importer - Polaris Representative, so engineers team will look at it and decide what to do. But his words gave me a lot of hope. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
He has it set up for street use (tires ect.) It's the equivilent of a dual sport motorcycle.

Dual Sport's have alot longer gears though for running on the HWY.

I still think consistant 6000 + rpm will be the issue. These motors are not designed for that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Dual Sport's have alot longer gears though for running on the HWY.

I still think consistant 6000 + rpm will be the issue. These motors are not designed for that.
My previous ATV, Can-Am 400 Outlander Max was "not designed for that" and had rpm limiter so you couldn't get over "permited" rpm. This one has no any kind of limiter. No warning in user's manuals, no rpm limiter... And I've tested it when it was new and reached 152 km/h (GPS controlled) and there was no road to keep on, but it still had some juice to go. I've never tried it again and have never go more the, let's say, 130 km/h. So, I was well bellow any kind of dangerous rpm, if those "dangerous rpm" exist... For sure, if manufacturer doesn't want you to go over determined rpm, they would put the limiter in (as CanAm does on smaller motors) or include one more Warning Label, or at least write it down in your manuals.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Its not the rpm that kills it, its running it for a pong time wide open.

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
Its not the rpm that kills it, its running it for a long time wide open.
That = high rpm's. But I think I understand what you're saying, and I agree. Sustained, high RPM's are not good for an engine, unless said engine was built for that purpose. i.e. a race engine. If they were limited to an rpm that they could run at all day long, everyone would be very unhappy with the machines performance. For short bursts, these engines can turn a rather impressive rpm number, but to run one at that speed for several miles at a time down the highway is a different matter all together. Again, I don't know if that was the root cause of this problem, but I would suspect it is.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It is just not WOT that is causing this. There are others that have had things like this on the 850's at low RPM. I think it is just the design of the engine. It is an 850 for crying out loud and I am sure Polaris thought about someone running it on the street. What about the guys racing them in the desert and the guys racing cross country. They put more strain on the motor than running it up and down the street. I think we will keep seeing this from some of the 850 engines.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ronnie makes a good point.. the international model like bosnjo has comes with turn signals a horn etc for on road use.. If running it on the road was a no no. Polaris would have tuned or geared it differently for that purpose.. Maybe there's a warning or something in the international model owners manual that we're not aware of?.. Don't know what to say beyond that.. Hope it was just a fluke.. My 850 touring is 3 years old now.. My home trail system is a 20 min ride from home on dirt county roads.. I typically run that route at 70 to 80km's p/hr and run it up to 100+ a few times just for kicks.. Mine's 3 years old now and runs like a beauty..

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
ronnie makes a good point.. the international model like bosnjo has comes with turn signals a horn etc for on road use.. If running it on the road was a no no. Polaris would have tuned or geared it differently for that purpose.. Maybe there's a warning or something in the international model owners manual that we're not aware of?.. Don't know what to say beyond that.. Hope it was just a fluke.. My 850 touring is 3 years old now.. My home trail system is a 20 min ride from home on dirt county roads.. I typically run that route at 70 to 80km's p/hr and run it up to 100+ a few times just for kicks.. Mine's 3 years old now and runs like a beauty..
My dealer told me it a lot of 2011 850s had bad crank bearings (they said main cause of my 850 doing this) and that they will go out at random times, not like most crank bearing you can hear them "slap" around, when these ones go....they GO and take the motor with it 90% of the time. Also Polaris seems to be good about replacing the motors, dealer replaced 24 of them now, I was there few days ago and asked. All of them are 2011.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
My dealer told me it a lot of 2011 850s had bad crank bearings (they said main cause of my 850 doing this) and that they will go out at random times, not like most crank bearing you can hear them "slap" around, when these ones go....they GO and take the motor with it 90% of the time. Also Polaris seems to be good about replacing the motors, dealer replaced 24 of them now, I was there few days ago and asked. All of them are 2011.
Thanks for your post, it gives me more hope.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Two questions for you bosnjo 1-how many chicks have you taken for a ride? Asking because you can drive that thing on the street to were ever you like, lol. 2- Does your bike have blue molded plastic or is it painted? Never seen a blue 850 touring model here in the states that was not painted. Thanks and most of all hope you get your bike back on the roads/trails soon. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Two questions for you bosnjo 1-how many chicks have you taken for a ride? Asking because you can drive that thing on the street to were ever you like, lol. 2- Does your bike have blue molded plastic or is it painted? Never seen a blue 850 touring model here in the states that was not painted. Thanks and most of all hope you get your bike back on the roads/trails soon. Good luck bud.
1) Well, chicks prefer two-weelers, so no much luck with it, especialy as I live in the area that once a year holds one of the biggest motorcycle concentrations in the world, and probably the biggest in Europe. Guess what, no ATV allowed even near the area during the 6-day event.

2) It's blue molded. All INTL models are molded and I guess only INTL SE are painted. As I could see arround, there are a lot blue (INTL) ones.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The 850s are not very durable engines when it comes to abuse. We see a lot of them blown up before 1000 miles. The newer design engines in general just do not have the longevity of the older motors. The 850 and the 900xp motors are dropping like flys. They just cant handle the abuse people give them. We mostly see cylinder wall or crank bearing problems. In them but have never seen one come apart as bad as the one in this thread.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just looking at the picture lower right side it looks like there is a bolt hole with no bolt . Just look odd to me. Maybe something was over looked at the factory.

It's hard to say what I feel and it's even harder to talk right now. This morning on the higway engine simply exploded between my feet. It hit my left foot but I'm ok. Lucky me, I wasn't wearing shorts because my left leg would be badly burnt by oil and cut by flying pieces of engine block.
All maintenance done correctly, oil level good (0w40 Mobil1), coolant good.
I have no clue how and why it hapened.
My sportsman is stil on waranty until September. Here in EU all products (including vehicles) have mandatory 2 years waranty. Tow truck left it at the dealer I bought it from, I still have to take the proof of regular maintenance but I have no big hopes. Yes, I'll fight but we'll see. It looks to me like it needs new engine. I left engine parts (and oil) all over the road.
I need few days to cool my head down now to think a bit better. Good thing is, I didn't get hurt, but rear weels locked, then unlocked, then locked but I managed to get off the road safely. My left leg hurts a bit but no visible marks.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts