Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how you guys (and gals) are hauling extra fuel on your machines. I have a 2019 850 SP with the full rear rack and a lock and ride box that I will be mounting on top of the rear rack so I can utilize the rack for mounting a fuel can or two. Really don’t want to spend the money on rotopax if I don’t have to.

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
“full rear rack and a lock and ride box that I will be mounting on top of the rear rack so I can utilize the rack for mounting a fuel can or two”
If rear rack is being utilized for Lock’N’Ride Box how can you utilize the rack for mounting fuel can or two? Is your question how to mount fuel cans to Lock’N’Ride Box?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rack doesn’t utilize the lock and ride mounts. I’ll be using accessory anchors to mount the box to the quad.
Basically I’m just looking to see how people have mounted their gas cans.

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
What about the cheaper FuelPax line?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,195 Posts
I like options... 2 gallons gas, 3 gallons gas, or 3 gallons of gas and 2 gallons of water

rp3.jpg

rp4.jpg

front view fenders.jpg

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

X3.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts

Attachments

·
11,557 Posts
Its good to stay flexible with your equipment for different conditions and trip needs FPD. You do it about as slick as anybody I've seen. (y)

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Thanks polman500, yes when out west on a week long camping trip fuel and water are a must when in the desert!

Reactions: Luann and timr

·
11,557 Posts
Here's the 2 gal. on the front for a complete fill up with plenty of room for other gear. I also have a couple 4 gal. that can be mounted on the rear rack surface if I really wanted to stay out that long but haven't ever been anywhere I'd need that much. Food and beverages would become more critical than the extra fuel if I were going that long in the boonies lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
Here's the 2 gal. on the front for a complete fill up with plenty of room for other gear. I also have a couple 4 gal. that can be mounted on the rear rack surface if I really wanted to stay out that long but haven't ever been anywhere I'd need that much. Food and beverages would become more critical than the extra fuel if I were going that long in the boonies lol.
Not if you can shoot another Elk!

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I like the additional weight up front as the rear box is loaded down with camping gear. This up front weight counter balances nicely when out west going up hill. Helps keep the front end down.

Reactions: Luann and timr

·
Registered
362 Posts
We see all these riders with the expensive, fancy extra gas cans on there bike and it remind me of when I was shooting competition pistol. They had there sacrum jackets with all the shooting patches.
Our ATV's get 100++ miles to a tank of gas. and yet they carry another 3 and 4 gal of gas. Yet most never get more than 10 miles from camp. We have cases where we get 50 miles from camp before turning back.

·
11,557 Posts
We see all these riders with the expensive, fancy extra gas cans on there bike and it remind me of when I was shooting competition pistol. They had there sacrum jackets with all the shooting patches.
Our ATV's get 100++ miles to a tank of gas. and yet they carry another 3 and 4 gal of gas. Yet most never get more than 10 miles from camp. We have cases where we get 50 miles from camp before turning back.
Yeah, I carry what I think I may need in the way of fuel and supplies depending on where and how far I'm going PoPo. Don't wear designer jackets with fancy patches but I do sometimes stay out 3+ days at a time. Won't make camp until 80-100 or more miles out and I generally don't "turn around" to come back the same way I went. Many times I'm navigating a new and unknown route with GPS and maps and not sure exactly where I might end up or what might be there. Some places I can drop out of the mountains conveniently for extra fuel if needed but in other areas its pretty sketchy and phone service is non-existent. I used to do a lot of hiking back in the day PoPo but I do my best to avoid it nowadays if possible. 😁

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had an instance last year on a 200 mile day ride where on the way back we missed a turn and ended up in the middle of nowhere with myself and another guy low on fuel. Luckily another guy had a 2.5 gallon can on his RZR. Splitting that between myself and the other guy we were able to make it back to camp.

Do I need to carry a 12 gallon fuel cell? Absolutely not. But between the situation last year and the week long trip trip we are talking about this year, an extra 2-3 gallons doesn't sound like the worst idea.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did you remember to add STA-BIL to the gas you are carrying in you auxiliary gas cans since it will most likely be in the container for the whole ridding season. The only time I use sta-bil is when I return home and will not be using the ATV for 3 or more months.

·
11,557 Posts
I ONLY use non-alcohol fuel that isn't nearly as perishable as the corn juice contaminated stuff many use. No fuel around my place ever lasts long enough to go bad. My machines never sit idle for more than a few days at a time year round so its not an issue. Don't really have any need for Sta-bil or any other additive. I do pour a couple ounces of K100 in my tank once or twice a year to disperse and burn any water that might happen to get into the fuel from the gas station's tanks though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts