Polaris ATV Forum banner

gas can racks

18K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  MustBeNice 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 sportsman 550 eps and I'm planning a trip to Maine this spring and will need to be able to carry extra gas. Any suggestions? I have a good size cargo bag on the rear rack but nothing on the front rack. I looked at Kolpin & roto-pax but they are pretty expensive. If someone tells me the Kolpin works well I would probably go with it. However some of the Kolpin reviews I've read say that the bracket for the lock & ride does not stay tight. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

#3 ·
Sounds like you have done some research. Some guys never have a problem with Kolplin, others can;t seem to get a can that doesn't leak. I haven't heard about the the brackets not holding tight. If you can afford it, Rotopax is the way to go. Bombproof and rock solid attachments. Other than those two, you can find a bracket/basket that hangs off the back that holds gas cans.

#4 · (Edited)
roto-pax and get the deluxe handle. makes for a secure and tight fit. some guys ride with them in there bags/boxes. I keep food and other belongings that I don't want near a gas can so I just mounted it to my front lock n ride.

#6 ·
yes to a slight degree. I don't ride a lot at night and if I do its not a long ride where I would be in danger of running out of fuel. if I needed to remove it for more light its no biggy.

#12 ·
great idea for a mount! just used the worm clamp on the bumper? only thing i dont like is how close it is to the exhaust.

#9 ·
Good info, I will definitely go with roto-pax since it seems to be everyone's top choice. John Henry 1978, I have checked out the website you provided and will most likely be making my purchase there. Thank you to all who provided the pictures this helped out a lot.

#11 ·
Roto also has a warranty against leaks. not sure on the Kolpin. i plan on going with Rotopax When im ready to spend the $$

#14 ·
only thing I would be concerned about this set up is the raising of the center of gravity so high. It could make climbing hills interesting.

#15 ·
^ on the flip side, should help keep the nose down while climbing. going downhill on the other hand....

#16 ·
pretty sure that's the back of the quad he has them mounted on. Plus they are on top of his storage box.

#19 ·
Don't know how i missed that, but you're correct. sorry bout that!

#17 ·
That's why I mounted mine on the front rack. To distribute the weight more evenly. I have a rear bag and wanted something up front for those steeper ascents.

#18 ·
I've had mine in the soft trunk in the past, just a regular gas can. But the new Tamarack hard trunk I've got now wont fit it. I've yet to use more than 1/3 of a tank on a ride (though have plans on changing that) so I think I'll just risk it for a few rides. but with the size of the ATV I'm probably going to have to mount cans on the outside of the trunk or on the front rack. Haven't decided yet. I don't like the idea of a lot of stuff up front though. the hinges on the front storage aren't the strongest and I like a nice clean line of site. so we'll see. Might go with a single 3 Gallon one on the front rack, or I'll wait until I've got a full size quote and carry gas for both on the bigger quad.

#20 · (Edited)
I slapped this rack together out of aluminum and painted it up

Attached it to the inner framework with carriage bolts

Siliconed around the heads of the carriage bolts after socking up the nyloc's

Cut a slot in a tuff tote for the bar of my small saw to stick through, lots of extra room for fuel/bar oil, tools, etc. Used some scraps of pipe insulation to pack it in tight

Also holds two Walmart 2 gallon gas jugs. I have used these for a couple weeks now and they don't leak. I was shocked

#22 ·
The chainsaw??? Lol. Scooter is a '14 850 XP with tracks. My first setup with tracks and I have really enjoyed it. The temp as we speak here in NE Washington is -2 and dropping. Hoping to go in the morning if it gets up to 0. Lots of places like this that need exploring. Deer, Elk, and Moose are dropping antlers right now so it's like Easter for old farts around here. Lol. EW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.