Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am out riding and have used about a gallon I start smelling gas. I can see it bubbling up the vent tube. Has anyone else had anything like this? When it's full it doesnt so it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine did that last time I rode. My buddy noticed that there was liquid bubbling up in the tube, and it was clearly gas. When I cracked the gas cap a tad to release any pressure, it stopped. As soon as I tightened it, it started bubbling up again. It didn't seem to be spilling out anywhere, so I wasn't worried. Seems like enough vapor had gotten up in the tube to form droplets, and so the expanding fumes(from heat and agitation) were bubbling through those droplets as they escaped from the vent tube.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats how mine is. It hasn't concerned me but im glad to hear i'm not the only one.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Bubbles are normal

yet smell of fuel is not. I see them on both my sporties but neither smells like fuel at any point, full or half. If no one on this board knows why yours might smell of fuel ask "OPT" (old polaris tech) on ATVCONNECTION-just call him out in your title post. :werd:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yet smell of fuel is not. I see them on both my sporties but neither smells like fuel at any point, full or half. If no one on this board knows why yours might smell of fuel ask "OPT" (old polaris tech) on ATVCONNECTION-just call him out in your title post. :werd:
Thanks for that info

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
its the gas warmer than ambient temp....you have a engine in that area plus the warm air being exhausted from radiator.... the gas expands and vaporizes....how vapor lock happens...evidently Polaris does not have enough insulation on bottom of the fuel tank....you can buy some insulation adhesive sheets and add some...this is probally more prone to happen in areas that have warm temps to begin with....remember the old day when fuel fillers were behind the license plate on cars..and you filled up and when hot it would spew out when it got hot....now new cars have a over flow vent in the gas tube going into the tank....vapor recovery...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Mine does it too as long as the fuel is above half a tank.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its the gas warmer than ambient temp....you have a engine in that area plus the warm air being exhausted from radiator.... the gas expands and vaporizes....how vapor lock happens...evidently Polaris does not have enough insulation on bottom of the fuel tank....you can buy some insulation adhesive sheets and add some...this is probally more prone to happen in areas that have warm temps to begin with....remember the old day when fuel fillers were behind the license plate on cars..and you filled up and when hot it would spew out when it got hot....now new cars have a over flow vent in the gas tube going into the tank....vapor recovery...
That makes sense. Thanks! Ill try some insulation on the tank and see if it helps.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just did mine yesterday. That Thermo-tec is great stuff!
image.jpg
Sorry about the pic. Phone won't let me rotate pic

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am going to do mine once the weather gets nice....I had my lawn tractor do it last summer when we had a few weeks of hi 90's to 100..gas was boiling like a tea kettle..now that gas has alcohol it even lowers the boiling temp...will do Quad an tractor....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw my overflow tube bubbling on a cold snowy ride last weekend.
first time I noticed it, I did not smell any gas.
The 570 ran like a champ!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Went for a ride today and I had this happen. I definitely had a strong smell of gas though. I'll try the insulation on the tank and see if that helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Experienced the same issue yesterday with the smell of gas. Opened the fuel cap and bubbles/smell stopped. Temps were only in the high 50's here yesterday.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Mine still does it. I want one of the motocross vented gas caps with the stubby hose to release the pressure without spitting fuel out.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Just bought this, we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work it should still look cool. Will match my ODI grips lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problems too. I could smell the gas and I had the 570 idling for a lil and it had a wierd low idle to it and then it died so I started it up and open the gas cap to release some of the fumes and it was fine ever since. Im not to worried about it yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The breather tubes are very small in diameter, I put a small 5mm fuel filter in each of the breathers up inside the headlight pod to hopefully create a small camber where the vapour can blow past the fuel which gets pushed out the breather. Yet to test but hopefully might help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just bought this, we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work it should still look cool. Will match my ODI grips lol.
Let me know if that works.

·
Registered
815 Posts
it gets here friday. I'm anxious. It would be nice if it was a simple fix like this

1 - 20 of 122 Posts