Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas tank seems to be leaking around the rear of the petcock. It was a slow drip, until I took the petcock out to investigate. Now it's dripping faster.

I'm not sure if the gasket just needs to be replaced or if the whole petcock needs to be replaced.

I was looking at the gas tank schematic, and I was trying to figure out what item 19 "PAD, BULK FUEL" is. I'm not sure if this part is still there or not. Is this another gasket? I have the cork gasket (Item 18).

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
My gas tank seems to be leaking around the rear of the petcock. It was a slow drip, until I took the petcock out to investigate. Now it's dripping faster.

I'm not sure if the gasket just needs to be replaced or if the whole petcock needs to be replaced.

I was looking at the gas tank schematic, and I was trying to figure out what item 19 "PAD, BULK FUEL" is. I'm not sure if this part is still there or not. Is this another gasket? I have the cork gasket (Item 18).
I think that is a protector attached to either tank or frame where the tank rubs. I went to babbittsonline.com it is a different # on that website. From what I can see only 1 gasket on it the shutoff may be bad.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i had to replace the valve on my tank and there was only the cork gasket.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I do remember seeing a rubber or foam pad on the frame that the gas tank rests on now that you mention it.

It would probably be best to just replace the valve and the gasket while I have the tank drained.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mystery solved. The petcock must have been cracked where the fuel line hooks up to it because today I put a new gasket on and tried to put the gas tank back on the quad and the little nipple broke off inside the fuel line.

Guess I will be ordering that petcock after all.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Mystery solved. The petcock must have been cracked where the fuel line hooks up to it because today I put a new gasket on and tried to put the gas tank back on the quad and the little nipple broke off inside the fuel line.

Guess I will be ordering that petcock after all.
Glad you got it repaired.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you guys have to pull your gas tank off, what all do you remove when you do it? I'm wondering if I'm not taking enough out of the way. I tend to be pretty impatient so it's very possible that I'm using too much force and knocking the petcock against stuff when I pull the tank. I know it's a pain to get mine out. Doesn't seem like there's any real easy way to get it out.

All I am doing is removing the seat, body panel, and the two side panels that cover up the gas tank. I usually take the rubber boot off of the air box too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ditto,
I also remove the same. although, I do turn the tank to the left (clockwise) and lift it out that way so I won't get hooked up on the petcock as I lift and slide the tank out from under the light/switch cluster.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI.

According to cheapcycleparts.com, the original fuel valve asm for the 95 magnum is no longer made. They provided a replacement part, which fits, but it is opposite hand. The nipple that the fuel line attaches to is now facing the rear of the quad. Thankfully I had already put a longer piece of fuel line on when I replaced my fuel filter and it was no problem. However, if you still had the original line or length of line on there, I don't think it would reach.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts