Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is mostly for the 850 xp and 850 touring owners. Just wondering what grade gas you guys are burning and how much mileage you're getting on a tank!?

Other model owners, feel free to chime in!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
255 Posts
I use the recommended octane, 87, in both of our ATV's: an '08 Model T 500 LE and a '12 550 XP EPS. I do the same in all of our vehicles. I feel that the engineers that designed these vehicles had a reason for recommending a certain octane rating based on engine design, emissions, mileage,etc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My polaris mechanic tells me that these engines were designed for the regular unleaded lower octane fuel. I mentioned that I always ran an additive like Klotz octane boost and fuel stabilzer in all my toys. He didn't ecommend anything like that but did mention that an injector cleaner once in awhile is good. He says polaris has a good one for the ATV's but he prefers the one they have for the Victory motorcycles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
87 in all my toys 07 800 & 2010 500...plus my sled and ruckus's

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh no, not the gas debate again :banghead: ok I use super and youll get about 65/80 miles to a tank. :rolleyes:
It's just a thang

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I run premium in all my small engines. (Altho the 850 isn't that small lol)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet yeah I run 87 and run some seafoam threw every 5 or 6 tanks . Get about 130 km on a tank.

·
Registered
38 Posts
oh man, don't have a polaris but have a canam outlander max LTD that gets 25mpg and they have a 5gal tank. I run 91 octane, no ethanol. some of you gents, what size tank you have? that doesn't sound like good mpg per tank?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here's the reality of fuel choice. You want to run as low of octane as the engine design will allow at the altitude you're at. Reason is because the additive that raises octane produces less energy than the fuel itself. Therefore, if you run 93 in a vehicle that doesn't detonate (see ping) on 87 you are producing less power and wasting money on more expensive fuel.
The only advantage to higher grade fuels if you don't need them is some have better detergents for keeping a motor clean. Occasional SeaFoam as mentioned eliminates a concern with this.
The reason guys with high performance bikes run higher and higher octane is due to increasing compression ratio's.

I have gotten about 50 miles multiple times at the digital display of 1/2 tank on my '13 850 Touring here in the high mountains of Colorado. That's pretty sucky fuel economy really, but I ride damn hard too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's the reality of fuel choice. You want to run as low of octane as the engine design will allow at the altitude you're at. Reason is because the additive that raises octane produces less energy than the fuel itself. Therefore, if you run 93 in a vehicle that doesn't detonate (see ping) on 87 you are producing less power and wasting money on more expensive fuel.
The only advantage to higher grade fuels if you don't need them is some have better detergents for keeping a motor clean. Occasional SeaFoam as mentioned eliminates a concern with this.
The reason guys with high performance bikes run higher and higher octane is due to increasing compression ratio's.

I have gotten about 50 miles multiple times at the digital display of 1/2 tank on my '13 850 Touring here in the high mountains of Colorado. That's pretty sucky fuel economy really, but I ride damn hard too.
that sounds more like it, that would be getting around 100miles or so with a full tank.

·
Registered
993 Posts
08 canam outlander 800 gets 100 miles on a 4.5 gallon. My new 13 850xp is getting 90 miles to a tank both running on 91. All my small engines ever weed eater and lawn mower all the sleds and wheelers get 91 or higher. my sled even gets a gallon of 110 every once in awhile just to freshen things up. But if you guys are only running 40 miles on 86 your the ones throwing m oney away LOL

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh man, don't have a polaris but have a canam outlander max LTD that gets 25mpg and they have a 5gal tank. I run 91 octane, no ethanol. some of you gents, what size tank you have? that doesn't sound like good mpg per tank?
19.9 Litre tank on my sportsman 850 touring.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
87 octane & 75-90 miles per tank

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I probly get around 80 miles on a tank but I hammer it quite abit lol

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I wonder if something is wrong with my 850 Bc I only get about 40 to a tank running mixed between hard and gravel roads

2013 850ho

1 - 20 of 35 Posts