Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on GBC Grim Reaper or Maxxis Bighorn tires for my 2015 Polaris Sportsman 850 on aftermarket ITP SS312 wheels. I ride mostly gravel roads, trails and some mud.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
They're both a great tire. The reaper will have a better grip on the trail & mud due to the tread pattern. The BH seems to break loose often on the trail. The grim is also 8ply compared to 6ply BH.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
The Bearclaw HTR will out perform both of those, is an 8 ply, and cheaper as well. Just my .02.

·
Registered
78 Posts
X2 on HTR. I took Bob's advice and got HTR's for my 850 and they are great.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Any of you guys voting HTR's over reapers have any experience with Reapers ? I LOVE the G/R's Great all round tire
I have never tried the HTR's so I dont know .
. I cant say they out preform the BH's but they certainly outlast the BH's.
I'm the only one in our group that runs G/R's and I'v only had 2 punctures since 2011. Wheras th BH's are constancly going dowm

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
I would have to go with the BH's over either the reapers or the HTR's. For one the bigs are lighter then both and 2 I'm no a fan of unidirectional tires like the HTR's. I have over 2000 miles on my Bigs.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Any of you guys voting HTR's over reapers have any experience with Reapers ? I LOVE the G/R's Great all round tire
I'm the only one in our group that runs G/R's and I'v only had 2 punctures since 2011. Wheras th BH's are constancly going dowm
Used to ride with a couple of guys who ran Reapers. Nothing wrong with them at all, but they didn't ride quite as good as the Bighorns and didn't wear as well. They also didn't stick quite as well on the Moab slick rock. I never had any flat tire issues when running Bighorns. The HTR rides every bit as good as the BH, has just as much traction in all dry conditions, and has better traction in any wet or slippery conditions. I was shopping for Bighorns to replace my Pitbull Rockers on my 850 when I started to read a little about the HTR's. They came in the size I wanted, they were $100 cheaper than BH's, and I couldn't find any bad reviews about them. They are also an 8 ply tire. After a week or more I decided to give them a try, and I haven't looked back since. 100% happy with them. From what I'm seeing after 550+ miles, nearly 100 of those miles being on the sand paper like slick rock of Moab, they will wear at least as well as Bighorns. I don't ride any paved roads, nor do I ride at high speeds, so I can't make any comparisons in how they, or any other tire, ride or handle in those conditions.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I would have to go with the BH's over either the reapers or the HTR's. For one the bigs are lighter then both and 2 I'm no a fan of unidirectional tires like the HTR's. I have over 2000 miles on my Bigs.
the HTR fronts only weigh .8 lbs more than the Bighorns and the rears only weigh 1.9 lbs more. if the weight difference were significant, then i would have to agree but the HTRs are also 8ply which is a bonus considering the little difference in weight between them. having run Bighorns on my last ride, i can say that the HTRs outperform the Bighorns in everything thus far.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
were they the Original Bighorns or the 2.0s?? our guys haven't had any luck at all with the 2.0s when it comes down to traction, flats and wear. they don't hold up anywhere near as well as the originals. they had a lot of guys scratching their heads as they expected the same performance and durability considering they are the same but lighter tire while understanding that they would be sacrificing some due to the lighter design. they just didn't expect the difference to be THAT much. i know a lot of guys with over 3000 hard miles on their originals and never had any issues with flats and they still have a lot of tread life left. in fact, if there is any tire thus far that would take the number 1 spot for tread life, the original horns would win by a margin in that category. the few guys running HTRs don't have enough miles on them to make a fair comparison but they are looking good so far.

Used to ride with a couple of guys who ran Reapers. Nothing wrong with them at all, but they didn't ride quite as good as the Bighorns and didn't wear as well. They also didn't stick quite as well on the Moab slick rock. I never had any flat tire issues when running Bighorns. The HTR rides every bit as good as the BH, has just as much traction in all dry conditions, and has better traction in any wet or slippery conditions. I was shopping for Bighorns to replace my Pitbull Rockers on my 850 when I started to read a little about the HTR's. They came in the size I wanted, they were $100 cheaper than BH's, and I couldn't find any bad reviews about them. They are also an 8 ply tire. After a week or more I decided to give them a try, and I haven't looked back since. 100% happy with them. From what I'm seeing after 550+ miles, nearly 100 of those miles being on the sand paper like slick rock of Moab, they will wear at least as well as Bighorns. I don't ride any paved roads, nor do I ride at high speeds, so I can't make any comparisons in how they, or any other tire, ride or handle in those conditions.
so far, i've experience the same although i do ride high speeds and paved roads. they aren't showing any kind of wear after riding on paved roads thus far. while riding high speed, i sometimes do get a little shake in the bars between 45mph and 60mph but it will go away after 60 and is good all the way up to 82 which is the highest i pushed it so far. after that, the pucker factor kicked in. :eek5: it may just have been the terrain i was riding as it doesn't seem to do it every time i get in that window but do i plan to have them balanced and see if it corrects the issue entirely. unless something changes, i will never look back to Bighorns but my experience thus far is that they outperform the BH in every way possible.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I ordered the GR's today for the 850.Love them and I have absolutely No problem with these.(mostly rock climbing).
Due to the reviews I'll be ordering the HTR's for the Ruby

·
Registered
453 Posts
Another vote for HTR's here. I put about 2500 miles on the set I had on my Rubicon and loved them. Still had 80%tread. I would've put a set on the Ranger but the load rating isn't quite enough for a sxs.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Besides the obvious size difference , Is there a difference between the
Kenda K587 Bear Claw - 26x11R12 &
Kenda K587 Bear Claw HTR Tire - 26x9Rx12
the reason I ask is the 26x11's dont say HTR.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Don't know what you are looking at, but, the K587 is the HTR. The K299 is the old original design bias Bearclaw tire.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thank You
The listing is exactly as I wrote it.
Since the 26x9 said HTR and the 26x11 did not say HTR ,I wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
they are a completely different tire. the tread design is different, the ply rating is different and the regular bearclaws are bias ply tires, the HTRs are radial tires. the HTR is a much better tire all around.

·
Registered
871 Posts
they are a completely different tire. the tread design is different, the ply rating is different and the regular bearclaws are bias ply tires, the HTRs are radial tires. the HTR is a much better tire all around.
No,they just didn't put HTR on title listing ,If you go towards the bottom of the listing it says Product Description
Size:26x11R12
Position: Rear
Tire Ply: 8
Tire Type: ATV/UTV
Tire Construction: Radial
Tire Application: All-Terrain
Tire Size: 26x11x12
Rim Size: 12
The successor to the Bear Claw

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
No,they just didn't put HTR on title listing ,If you go towards the bottom of the listing it says Product Description
Size:26x11R12
Position: Rear
Tire Ply: 8
Tire Type: ATV/UTV
Tire Construction: Radial
Tire Application: All-Terrain
Tire Size: 26x11x12
Rim Size: 12
The successor to the Bear Claw

i was referring to the regular Bearclaw and Bearclaw HTR as you had it written. i just assumed you mistakenly put in the same part # as there was no such link provided to determine that they were both HTRs. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Grim Reapers on 850 Sportsman

I ordered the GR's today for the 850.Love them and I have absolutely No problem with these.(mostly rock climbing).
Hey Duse: How did your Grim Reapers work out on your 850. I have a 2011 850 Orange Madness and want to replace my stock Carlisle's with 26x11x14 (rear) and 26x9x24 Grim Reapers. How have they performed? How have they held up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hey Duse: How did your Grim Reapers work out on your 850. I have a 2011 850 Orange Madness and want to replace my stock Carlisle's with 26x11x14 (rear) and 26x9x24 Grim Reapers. How have they performed? How have they held up?

Thanks.
,I had them on the 2012 850 (sold with the reapers 10-2015) No plugs .The thread was good but rounded
I picked up the 2015 850 with a new set of reapers(27").As of now theres nothing else I would put on the 850
Most guys that I ride with runs bighorns and honestly I don't know why.They are constantly plugging them. Or replacing them .A Lot of sidewall pinch holes
Not one of them has less then 4 plugs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts