Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my names Wayne. I am from Queesland Australia were its burning one day and flooding the next i have just bought a 97 Explorer 500 spending a few dollars on it to make it reliable.
Currently have a Yamaha Grizzly 700 but after having some problem out in the bush feel i would like something much simpler that i can fix in the bush if need be and a big plus having a second means of starting not just relying on the press start So far rebuilt carby new starter fixed gear shifter new brake pads all round repaired 4wd not working magnets needed adjusting recovered the seat full service including valve timing and clearance checked magnets in the flywheel weren't loose
but what i am a bit concerned about is watching the clutch mechanism as the rev come up it shakes out of balance then smooths out that's a lot of weight hanging of that crank shaft and shaking on the Yammy it has a metal cage that support the shaft there are wear makes on the plastic cover where its been rubbing is this normal or is it out of balance.
Also need to know what other models share the same DNA such as Parts ,Electrical as there is very little info for the Explorer 500 thanks for reading.
20200211_113402.jpg

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Welcome to the forum

The shaking you are describing may simply be the motor moving on the mounts - the engine is attached with rubber cushions and possibly one of the cushions is broken, softened from exposure to petrol or defective on some other way (maybe just a loose retainer).

On the question of shared parts, you have to get specific - the clutches and belt could be the same for hundreds of models while the piston may not be shared with but a few years of the same displacement. The battery may be the same for 1987 through 2020 models while the CDI unit might be specific to only the model you have and some parts were changed mid year, so you may have to define early or late production when ordering parts.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Being from down unda, your machine might be different than others too. International models can have different parts. A VIN will help us decode what it is and what parts can be used.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the reply i will check the mounts soon as i can. Mine must be the later model as it has split pin thru the castle nuts on the front hubs .Cant read the Vin No someone put a screw thru it and fitted a aluminium lid on the air box and its rubbed part of the no off. 20200219_213754.jpg As much as i can read of the Vin No.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
CD50A indicates an Xplorer 500 and 4XA indicates made in US by Polaris Minnesota plant, but a true VIN is 17 digits - look on the lower LH frame behind the front wheel and ahead of the floorboard and see if there is a 17 digit number there.

The AC ignition system is completely separate from the DC power system - the only thing I can think of is when the battery charger is connected it affects ground. The only component common to both DC voltage, AC ignition voltage and ground is the hub safety switch - pressing the override button disables the reverse limiter/hub module - disconnecting the black wire from the module eliminates the reverse speed limit function also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts