Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a front diff from 2010 850xp that I am using to replace my broken one.
I opened it up to inspect it and everything looks good but after putting it back together there seems to be some resistance when i turn the spline by hand. I have the fluid drained and I am wondering if having fluid in it changes anything or if this is normal. The book says backlash screw is a factory setting and should spin freely. I didn't change anything. I also took it apart again to see if i things didn't line up upon assembly but everything seems good. should I bother with adjusting the screw or will it free up more with fluid and use.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Make sure the pad on the adjuster is in place correctly then adjust if needed. Tighten till it lightly bottoms then back off 1/4 turn. Turn the splined end at least 4 full Rrotations to convert the entire ring gear. If any hard spots exist then back out a little more and try again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Okay, I need some assistance. I've rebuilt my 2010 850 xp front differential before and ran into the same problem as listed above. What caused my problem when putting in case cover back on was the back lash adjustment plunger had just enough corrosion on it to prevent it from moving. Once i took it out and cleaned it up, eventhing was fine and I was able to adjust it. Well I'm rebuilding a 2011 850 differential for a buddy. For the life of me I cannot figure out my back lash problem. I've removed the adjustment Allen set screw. Made sure the plunger was fully seated and barely sticking out. Everything mounted up fine, but once one of the case bolts are torqued down, I cannot spin the shaft. Any ideas or thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts