Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all !!

Out riding last Saturday with a bombing 5ºC!!! (Really warm for Edmonton) and I broke off my bushing that links the gear selctor to tranny. No biggy 3 dollar easy fix.

The question and what I am trying to diagnose is why it did that. Since I have bought it 2 months ago I have had problems getting in gear while idiling, which puts all that force on the gear selector. Although, can easily put it in gear with engine off.

I have taken off the clutch cover to inspect the drive belt and there was quite abit of rubber shavings in there. The belt looked good but measured low at 1.29". When I started the bike up the belt was spinning, even once it was all warmed up spinning pretty fast. Is that normal while in neutral? (No tach yet)

While inspecting the primary clutch I have the brown 19.5 gram rollers and the service manual said I should have the indigo 17 gram rollers in. I am at approx 2100'.

Trying to determine my courese of action here and what the problem is. I ordered a new belt today and a new seal for the cover. Should I order the proper rollers? Or just try and get a complete kit from QSC if they have one for my odd cousin of the sportsman family.

Could all this be stemming from the carb? Maybe not being jetted properly?

My quad info is below, let me know any thoughts. Thanks in advance

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
are your rpm's to hi on idle...and maybe your clutches are not in alignment riding hard on one side

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Your belt is definitely long overdue for replacement. It should be sitting up about level with the top of the secondary clutch. Make sure you have the correct belt on it too. Also check you idle speed. If it's to high it will make it hard to shift. Not sure if QSC has a kit for that version of clutches. I will check and see. I have a listing for them in my charts, but have not sold one ever and do not stock them due to that. Show them at $325 but no listing on what's in the kit for them. I can let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the excellent info!! Adjusted the idle speed, that really helped out. Belt stopped turning while in neutral. Waiting on a new seal for the clutch cover and will get it all together with the new belt.

Is there a way for myself to check the alignment of the clutches? Nothing in the service manual that I found.

Also, would be interested in a clutch kit. PM me once you find the info you need please!

Scott

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You can usually just eyeball the alignment. You and or remove shims behind the secondary clutch to get the belt to run in the center of the primary at idle. Have to rev it up to get it spinning a bit so it self centers once it stop spinning. You have the weird little roller primary, that is what's throwing me on setting you up with a clutch kit. The stuff I show has regular weights and springs for the 400. I'll be in touch with ADAM at QSC today and see what he might have for it. Thinking they changed the primary on them at some point down the line and I've never seen a kit for that style of clutch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got 'er all put back together! Everything seems to be working great with the new belt. Still fiddling with the idle but it's a pain with no tach.

I have been looking into the clutch and if I had alot of knowledge of them it could definitely be upgraded. The parts to upgrade would be the 8 rollers that come in 10 different weights from 10 - 20 grams. As the primary clutch spins they get forced out by centrifical force, they come stock with 19.5 gram weights. I have read that some people experimented with removing pairs opposing each other, with positive results.

The next piece that would help to upgrade would be the spring on the secondary clutch. It comes stock at 4.69" and not sure on the "strength" of it.

I am sure with some homework and knowledge from the boards we can figure this out!!

Scott

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Glad you are getting it figured out. There is definitely clutch work that can be done to them, just no one that makes a kit to do it. Changing the rollers out is like changing the regular weights on a P85. They effect how hard the clutch grabs the belt, and how many peak RPMs it runs. All else left the same. Bigger tires is usually the reason guys mess with the rollers. Taking 2 out grans the belt a little less hard and lets the machine rev easier with the additional size and weight of the tires to turn. You could update it to a 500 primary, and probably not have to change anything on it as they are so close in CC and HP. Then you'd have a lot more tenability and mod options with the clutching.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pic

My head is just spinning with thoughts and solutions now haha.

Does any one have a good side on pic of the "standard" style clutch for a sportsman. Just want see an actual pic and not a parts sch.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts