Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I do most of my riding in the 8 to 12 kms per hr range .. rough country 2 up with camping gear. ... and in high range

The ATV is getting harder to change in and out of gear so I'm guessing the belt is on it's way out.

Is there a "simple" way of changing the gearing ie either up low range or drop high range so the ATV is "happier" just plodding along

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I think u can get a clutch kit to help in high but dont think there's a way to just change the gearing. Contact ridinagain on here. Not sure if thats how u spell it. But he can help u out a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your secondary clutch is being turned my the primary at idle. Your primary clutch can be damaged from slow riding in hi range. Too much heat develops and the clutch sheeves can groove or the one way bearing can lock up. Pull off the cover, remove the belt and inspect the primary closely. Good Luck

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Clutch kit would be what you want to change..... but @ 8-12 km/h (5-8mph), just use "Low Range". As Polaris recommends using low range for anything under 10mph when sustained driving. Or am I missing something? :dunno:

As for getting harder to shift..... change the belt out with a brand new one!! :fing02:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Clutch kit would be what you want to change..... but @ 8-12 km/h (5-8mph), just use "Low Range". As Polaris recommends using low range for anything under 10mph when sustained driving. Or am I missing something? :dunno:

As for getting harder to shift..... change the belt out with a brand new one!! :fing02:
Agreed at those low speed low range only.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts gents

Yep I have / do run in low but find the high revving a tad annoying .. but thems the breaks I guess

Thanks

Stuart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts