Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, doing a tune up on my 06 sportsman 450 this weekend. I'm planning on cleaning the carb, cleaning the air filter, new spark plug, change the oil, and change the fuel filter. Anyone else have any other recommendations? Can anyone recommend a good plug? And anyone use oil other than the polaris brand?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
For the spark plug.... I'd recommend a NGK Iridium.

As for oil.... Any good quality synthetic in the recommended viscosity rating (Currently it is 5W50) or very close to (0W40). You'll find many on this forum run one of the following.... Polaris Brand(ed) PS4 @ 5W50, Mobile 1 @ 0W40, Amsoil @ 0W40, Shell Rotella T6 @ 5W50, among a few others. But those seem to be the top picks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the spark plug.... I'd recommend a NGK Iridium.

As for oil.... Any good quality synthetic in the recommended viscosity rating (Currently it is 5W50) or very close to (0W40). You'll find many on this forum run one of the following.... Polaris Brand(ed) PS4 @ 5W50, Mobile 1 @ 0W40, Amsoil @ 0W40, Shell Rotella T6 @ 5W50, among a few others. But those seem to be the top picks.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any OEM spark plug replacement will be fine, just a new plug you may find a few more rpm on four strokes but should last a long time. I have only changed a few four stroke plugs in my time if the bike is running well. On Two strokes the plugs will get worse with time and will need more frequent replacement as they foul out.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If you haven't done the front diff in a while I'd change that fluid too. They take on water like a sieve.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Got grease?

Greasing her up is always good!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
For the NGK Plug #, check here..... NGK Spark Plugs USA

For the 2006-2007 Polaris Sportsman 450, I get: