Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Not new to ATV's though. I currently ride a 2013 can am outty 800r XT max. Recently came across a 2002 magnum 325 2x4 for $300. It runs really good, but it will not start with key. Battery checks out, new solenoid, the previous owner lost key so he had 1 made then found original. The kill switch on left handlebar controller works as it should. The lights will not come on at all. I have searched before I posted but nothing had similar symptoms. What the hell is a thermistor switch and where is it? For awhile the fan ran from start up even when cold. Help me get this thing going please! All comments are welcome. Even get after me about my can am if you want, after you give good advice. Thanks

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Id start tracing wires from ign switch back, may have to remove plastic and take wiring out of loom, maybe previous owner tried to hot wire it and messed up wires., they also tend to break around steering stem. also look at breakers in black pouches in the wiring, they corrode.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I found 1 of those corroded pouches right from the solenoid and replace the part. I didn't mention that. I did replace it but what will happen if it is wired direct? Keep the suggestions coming please?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Thermistor is a resistive switch that senses temperature and switches on and off at preset temps. It controls when the fan turns in and off. When they fail they usually fail to an on position. They are normally located in the radiator. Brass piece with a wire hooked to it screwed in.

As far as stating with the key, first thing I would test is the switch. Make sure it is making contact when turned to the start position.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Like Ridinagain said.... check the switch first with a meter. Or pull it apart and clean up the contacts (had to do this on a motorcycle I once had every couple years). Be care full when taking it apart though!!! As there are usually balls, springs and other doo-dads that will go flying!!! I usually pull this stuff apart in an ice cream bucket with a cotton cloth on the bottom (just food for thought there!). When reassembling, just apply a little (I said "a little") dielectric grease to all contacts and components.

Should be a nice little toy for the coin spent!!

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot. I'm starting tomorrow to try to figure this out. I'm am still using it with just the recoil starter. It's a lot quieter than my can am for hunting. I think I'll enjoy it as well. I'll update this post ASAP

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A $19 ignition swith from eBay and a $25 complete left handlebar switch from a local ATV graveyard. It now starts with the key and the headlights work. I'm very happy with it now. Actually very happy!

Why would the oil light stay lite up from the moment you turn the key? The level is good and I know it's not hot that quick. The fan isn't on either? Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just purchased a 400 94 2x4 and want to know is it possible to run fused hot wire directly too the coil for spark enoough to run??

·
11,279 Posts
A $19 ignition swith from eBay and a $25 complete left handlebar switch from a local ATV graveyard. It now starts with the key and the headlights work. I'm very happy with it now. Actually very happy!

Why would the oil light stay lite up from the moment you turn the key? The level is good and I know it's not hot that quick. The fan isn't on either? Any ideas?
That's the thermister switch in the oil cooler you asked about earlier.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts

Sounds like you're making good progress. As said above, the thermistor switch is probably bad.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there an automotive cross reference part that can be used for this? I know I'm in this rig cheap but I'd like to keep it that way if possible. I'll spend the $ though for something to work correctly

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. It is the thermister that is bad. On my 2000 Magnum it is discontinued from Polaris, but they have now a revised part that is made to fit several models. It was on backorder for 5 months before I got it in and fixed it. I had a problem with the starter staying engaged all the time. I sprayed CRC Contact Cleaner through a space above the kill switch and not only fixed the problem, but the headlight switch started working smoother back and forth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well finally done!
After a new ignition, new belt, new solenoid, new thermistor switch (actually used), new tires, and 3 cans of spray paint. I have a good running magnum. It's defiantly not a power house, but still fun to ride. Grand total of $585 including the purchase of the quad. I'm quite pleased with the outcome. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well finally done!
After a new ignition, new belt, new solenoid, new thermistor switch (actually used), new tires, and 3 cans of spray paint. I have a good running magnum. It's defiantly not a power house, but still fun to ride. Grand total of $585 including the purchase of the quad. I'm quite pleased with the outcome. What do y'all think?
$585? That is awesome. I'd say you did well for yourself.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Well finally done!
Nicely done, CanAm. Hope you have many fun hours with it. You deserve it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Looks sweet in the pic! You plan on making a little profit or keeping it?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everything I own is for sale for the right price! Lol. I'm really not sure yet though. It's a lot quieter than my can am. Might like it for the deer woods. And the lady has looked at it a few times. I'm not sure if it was $ signs or claiming it in her eyes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts