Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I need some help with my machine. Its a 97 magnum 425 4x4. I started it up one day and turn the lights on and when i reved the motor up.....the lights blew out. I have had to pull start this thing for a while bc battery went dead...and never would charge up. do you think its a voltage regulator? what damage will it cause if i ride the 4-wheeler with the regulator unplugged? any help would be very appriceated.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Yes, sounds like its the voltage regulator. I would not ride this until it's fixed, let alone with it intentional unplugged. At some point, you're going to fry all the electronics, including the CDI box (the main brain) and the PDM (power distribution module), which are the two most expensive electronic devices on board. With all that extra voltage, the only thing these devices can do is turn that extra volts to heat. This heat will eventually cause them to short out, and potentially catch on fire, which would put your machine at a total lose, and up in flames.

Also, that amount of volts going into a battery will cause the battery to overheat, you'll burn up cells and boil the acid inside, and it could cause the battery to explode as well, which would send acid everywhere, and the explosion would be decently violent.

I consider the regulator a critical device on board. They're not hard to replace, and not too expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blueline, thanks for the help...i will get the regulator orderd...pretty good price at $60..thought they would be alot more. thanks again.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
You're welcome. Not a bad price. I figured they'd be $80 or $90. I think it's like 2 bolts and 4 plug and play wires if I remember right. I don't know for sure, except it wasn't that hard when I did it.

Get that thing installed and you should be ready to ride again.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Have the battery ,load tested as well, a faulty battery will cause the system to runaway like that too.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Probably fried the battery as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got new regulator in today and plugged it in.......burnt out the netural light right away as soon as i reved the motor up....will a bad battery cause this to happen too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i have sucessfully burnt out every light on the machine except for reverse...does anyone know what bulb i need for the netural light?

·
Registered
306 Posts
be sure to clean the grounding wires

to the frame, The new reg. should fix the problem on an older machine i would make sure all the electrical connections are good and clean Good Luck and keep us informed on what you find out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think its fixed....hook up a different battery and seems to be fine now....multimeter junked out so the only thing i could go by was the reverse light.....before...when reved motor up, netural light got real bright...but since i burnt it out..i put machine in reverse and rode it backwards with motor reved and light did not get real bright...so i hope its fixed...wont know for sure until i get new multimeter or new headlights in. I want the thank all of you for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts