Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I just recently sold my 2003 magnum 330 4x4 and am looking to upgrade. I only had my magnum for a few months, but used it a lot this past winter for plowing and early this spring for yard work. I will also be using the new one quite a bit for hunting, but I don't see much actual trail riding in my future.

I'm currently looking at an 07 500 deluxe with 300hrs/3000mi for $4000 and an 07 700efi with 180hrs/1500mi for $3500

The 700 is the standard model, steel rims and no bumpers but it comes with a cycle country plow, while the 500 has the bumpers and nice rims being the deluxe but has no plow.

I know the 500 is the "dependable" rock solid cant go wrong quad but what about the 700? I don't see or hear too much about the 700 because seems most opt for the 800. Is the 700 just as dependable? If I bought the 500 I"d have to buy a plow, and if I bought the 700 Id have to get rims/bumpers (gotta have them lol). I was thinking the 700 may work out better for the plowing and hunting use, but then I always here that the 500 will do anything you need it to.

I guess I'm just looking for some pros/cons, advice, whatever. This will be a major purchase for me and I"d hate to regret choosing the wrong machine. I'll try to get a few pics posted up later of each machine.

thanks

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
How does the condition & overall maintenance of the two compare?

Without knowing that..... I'd lean the way of the 700 myself, and buy the rims/tires and bumpers that you prefer, unless the 500 has exactly the extra's you want minus the plow.

How about a winch.... does either have a winch? (For lifting the plow)

Do you have ad links/pictures for us to review...... I love helping other people search for wheels / spend their money!!! :D

Edit: You posted the pics while I was typing! I'm a sucker for the Sportsman's in Blue.... just looking at the back rounds of the pictures, I may think twice about the 700 as it may have seen most of its hours working (tractor/mower/plow trucks/dump trailers). So now I'd lean towards the 500. It's amazing how a picture can change your mind, or what it can tell you.

Ride both and see which you like the feel and look/care of the best..... the test ride will tell you which is the better machine!!

Tuff call really....2007 either way...... 500 @ 300hrs/3000mi $4k VS. 700 180hrs/1500mi $3.5K = :dunno: But still leaning towards the 700 more so. Once you feel the 700's power, that is what you will want..... I can almost guarantee it!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
hi all, I just recently sold my 2003 magnum 330 4x4 and am looking to upgrade. I only had my magnum for a few months, but used it a lot this past winter for plowing and early this spring for yard work. I will also be using the new one quite a bit for hunting, but I don't see much actual trail riding in my future.

I'm currently looking at an 07 500 deluxe with 300hrs/3000mi for $4000 and an 07 700efi with 180hrs/1500mi for $3500

The 700 is the standard model, steel rims and no bumpers but it comes with a cycle country plow, while the 500 has the bumpers and nice rims being the deluxe but has no plow.

I know the 500 is the "dependable" rock solid cant go wrong quad but what about the 700? I don't see or hear too much about the 700 because seems most opt for the 800. Is the 700 just as dependable? If I bought the 500 I"d have to buy a plow, and if I bought the 700 Id have to get rims/bumpers (gotta have them lol). I was thinking the 700 may work out better for the plowing and hunting use, but then I always here that the 500 will do anything you need it to.

I guess I'm just looking for some pros/cons, advice, whatever. This will be a major purchase for me and I"d hate to regret choosing the wrong machine. I'll try to get a few pics posted up later of each machine.

thanks
When buying used, I've always went by the method of dividing the hours into the miles to figure out the speed it averaged out. So in this case one wheeler avg. 10mph and the other 8.33 mph. That kind of tells you what kind of riding they did. Luckily at that speed it doesn't sound much like "mudding". This may not make logical sense but I've always used it lol. Made me feel better anyways.

I know most bikes rust after the first few washes but I always look for rust, physical abuse, and overall shape of the rims/tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Forgot a pic. The 500 has a spot on the rear fender of melted plastic and a crack on one of the footwells. Both say well maintained/regularly serviced. Neither is suppose to have any leaks, squeaks, or issues. The 500 is about 3hrs away from me, so I'm still considering the drive. Too many times in the past I"ve driven that kind of distance only to be disappointed. The 700 belongs to a guy who had a lawn care/snow plowing company that has since closed.

I'm ok with blue, would rather have a stealth black or camo, but i don't mind it :veryhappy:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
New 500s when "on sale" around these parts go for about $5000. I'd have a hard time paying $4000 for a 7 year old 500. Granted the deluxe has aluminum rims and EFI, and I'm not from your area, but that price seems a little high to me. Good luck with your decision.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just purchased a used 07 500 Deluxe that needed some work. Ok, mine needed a bunch of work, but fortunately I was able to do some of the work and now that I have it running I love the machine. I would just make sure to look them over for any signs of abuse and or see how they appear to have been maintained. Another thing to consider is one was used to plow as a work vehicle, while the other wasn't. That may or may not mean its been used harder? idk

Also any additions like a plow and winch can add up. So I guess in the end its what seems best for you and if you feel comfortable with how its been treated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another thing, the Deluxe comes stock with 26 inch tires and backup lights. I think the other machine will probably have 25 inch tires on it unless they have been changed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New 500s when "on sale" around these parts go for about $5000. I'd have a hard time paying $4000 for a 7 year old 500. Granted the deluxe has aluminum rims and EFI, and I'm not from your area, but that price seems a little high to me. Good luck with your decision.

Not sure about the 500's but I believe the 570's are running around $5500 right now. I'm with you, but I'm trying to keep this purchase as cheap as possible lol. I'd like an xp but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd just as soon get a sxs. In my area 98-2002 500's are going for $3k, which was my original budget, so with that in mind I'm ok going 3500-4000 on a newer 05+ unit with efi. I don't like it, but ok with it lol. Heck 08-09's I've been seeing for 5k+

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would call both guys and talk to them on the phone. Not always, but sometimes you can get an honest feel for the person, and the type of life that this machine has had. I think on paper the 700 is an easy win in this case, but when buying used, the most important thing is how hard the machine has/hasn't been used and how well it's been taken care of.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Weren't the 700's (and 600's) plagued with electrical issues? If not I would go with the 700

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How does the condition & overall maintenance of the two compare?

Without knowing that..... I'd lean the way of the 700 myself, and buy the rims/tires and bumpers that you prefer, unless the 500 has exactly the extra's you want minus the plow.

How about a winch.... does either have a winch? (For lifting the plow)

Do you have ad links/pictures for us to review...... I love helping other people search for wheels / spend their money!!! :D

Edit: You posted the pics while I was typing! I'm a sucker for the Sportsman's in Blue.... just looking at the back rounds of the pictures, I may think twice about the 700 as it may have seen most of its hours working (tractor/mower/plow trucks/dump trailers). So now I'd lean towards the 500. It's amazing how a picture can change your mind, or what it can tell you.

Ride both and see which you like the feel and look/care of the best..... the test ride will tell you which is the better machine!!

Tuff call really....2007 either way...... 500 @ 300hrs/3000mi $4k VS. 700 180hrs/1500mi $3.5K = :dunno: But still leaning towards the 700 more so. Once you feel the 700's power, that is what you will want..... I can almost guarantee it!

Good Luck.
Sounds like you're on the fence almost as much as I am lol...as far as accessories, I like the bumpers the 500 has and would end up putting the same on the 700. As far as rims/tires the deluxe obviously has that won but I'd still prob swap them out, at least the tires, I just wouldn't have to do it as soon as I would want to with the 700. Both have 2500# Polaris winch's.
The 500 was originally listed at 4800, then he dropped it to 4300 due to mileage and the melted spot on the rear fender. So while I say it's 4k I think I may even be able to get him down a little more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may go look at the 700 in the morning weather permitting. Anything I need to look for in particular other than the obvious condition, bearings, cv, etc?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

Not sure about the 500's but I believe the 570's are running around $5500 right now. I'm with you, but I'm trying to keep this purchase as cheap as possible lol. I'd like an xp but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd just as soon get a sxs. In my area 98-2002 500's are going for $3k, which was my original budget, so with that in mind I'm ok going 3500-4000 on a newer 05+ unit with efi. I don't like it, but ok with it lol. Heck 08-09's I've been seeing for 5k+

Wow, the used market sounds really tight out there :eek:

Aside from the typical inspection stuff, I like to find out who does the service. If it's the dealer, I like to see the receipts/evidence, if it's a DIY, show me a shop manual or a well stocked garage. I assess the seller to see if they're a bullshitter and how much knowledge of the machine they have.

Anyway, I hope it all works out well for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any thoughts on the dependability of the 700 when compared to the 500, or are they all pretty much good to go?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Any thoughts on the dependability of the 700 when compared to the 500, or are they all pretty much good to go?
My '04.5 700 has been rock solid

1 - 18 of 18 Posts